Is Clinical Research Nurse, Research Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN-2-Medicine

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im a RN on the non traditional pre med route.

I have an option to move from bedside nursing to clinical nurse researcher. The role is very hands on and follows a participant through the entirety of the study, paperwork, drawing labs, administering research drugs, screening participants, et….

And im not alone I get to work with physicians, nurse clinicians, and research assistants in the office setting Monday-Friday 9 to 5 style

The main draw to the position is its more chill and less hectic than bedside. The downside is that its 9-5 so I have less time on weekdays to study for my night classes. Although hectic, bedside gives me a favorable schedule being that I only have to work weekends and I have the weekdays off to study for school.

So here’s my biggest reason for considering the switch.

My biggest reason for exploring this position is getting “research” experience for med school. Would this job qualify or “check” the research experience box on med school applications? Please advise, thanks!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys im a RN on the non traditional pre med route.

I have an option to move from bedside nursing to clinical nurse researcher. The role is very hands on and follows a participant through the entirety of the study, paperwork, drawing labs, administering research drugs, screening participants, et….

And im not alone I get to work with physicians, nurse clinicians, and research assistants in the office setting Monday-Friday 9 to 5 style

The main draw to the position is its more chill and less hectic than bedside. The downside is that its 9-5 so I have less time on weekdays to study for my night classes. Although hectic, bedside gives me a favorable schedule being that I only have to work weekends and I have the weekdays off to study for school.

So here’s my biggest reason for considering the switch.

My biggest reason for exploring this position is getting “research” experience for med school. Would this job qualify or “check” the research experience box on med school applications? Please advise, thanks!

Thanks!

Definitely a great start to your research experience! It sounds like a really cool gig for a premed working nurse, too.

Will you have a chance to work on the data analysis and manuscript prep side of things with your PI/supervisor? I was asked in interviews about the extent of my involvement in all facets of the research process, from the general lab tech stuff all the way to fairly involved, data-driven questions about my results. If you remain mostly on the clinical/technicial/patient-focused side, that’s still OK but it won’t carry as much weight as it would if you were involved in everything. Hopefully that makes sense to you.

If you can get a chance to present your research at a poster symposium, give a talk, and/or get on a paper or two, that’s even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user