Is dentistry right for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdelrio22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated last May with a B.S. in Psychology and have been debating whether or not to go into Dentistry because the truth is while I enjoy research, I do not feel like living work as my life. I want a 40 hour week for my career which is not something that is easy to get in any profession.

While going to school I worked in a lot of different "small jobs" such as telephone customer service, sales, and technical support. I have the people skills and have learned a lot from dealing with irate people and while counseling was the original path, I can't help but feel attracted to this profession and one of the reasons why I noticed this was because of an event that reminded me of this interest I had.

A few weeks ago I met a gentleman who had horrible teeth, I didn't say anything but wished I could help him myself or give him funds to do such a thing.

My problem at this point is that when I graduated with my degree it was with a 3.041 cumulative gpa and while I did graduate with a B.S. it was social sciences mainly that made up the load of coursework. I didn't take chemistry or physics and took only one semester of Biology 150 with a lab back in my freshman year.

Given this: Should I look for some kind of Post-bac program to get the courses I need to try for the DAT or is it possible that I could have some amount of success by preparing for the DAT with a prep. book.

It is too late at this point I believe to get into some of the programs that are nearby me for the post-bacc but I could enroll at NDSU to take some courses next Fall or summer even.

Your time and opinion would be greatly appreciated,

I tried to get in touch with Creighton but they are on their break :D

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated last May with a B.S. in Psychology and have been debating whether or not to go into Dentistry because the truth is while I enjoy research, I do not feel like living work as my life. I want a 40 hour week for my career which is not something that is easy to get in any profession.

While going to school I worked in a lot of different "small jobs" such as telephone customer service, sales, and technical support. I have the people skills and have learned a lot from dealing with irate people and while counseling was the original path, I can't help but feel attracted to this profession and one of the reasons why I noticed this was because of an event that reminded me of this interest I had.

A few weeks ago I met a gentleman who had horrible teeth, I didn't say anything but wished I could help him myself or give him funds to do such a thing.

My problem at this point is that when I graduated with my degree it was with a 3.041 cumulative gpa and while I did graduate with a B.S. it was social sciences mainly that made up the load of coursework. I didn't take chemistry or physics and took only one semester of Biology 150 with a lab back in my freshman year.

Given this: Should I look for some kind of Post-bac program to get the courses I need to try for the DAT or is it possible that I could have some amount of success by preparing for the DAT with a prep. book.

It is too late at this point I believe to get into some of the programs that are nearby me for the post-bacc but I could enroll at NDSU to take some courses next Fall or summer even.

Your time and opinion would be greatly appreciated,

I tried to get in touch with Creighton but they are on their break :D

You're gonna need to take all the pre-reqs anyway and you're gonna wanna take the DAT after you've completed bio, chem, and ochem pre-reqs. You are right in that you need to do a post-bacc and do very well in it at that.

I recommend you do some shadowing before you commit yourself to this as well. You won't know if you wanna do dentistry or not unless you actually go and watch a dentist do his/her thing. Choosing dentistry because it affords an easy lifestyle is not a good reason in the long term.

Last edited: