Is Dermatology Still an Option?

Started by Nard Dog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nard Dog

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am really interested in becoming a dermatologist, I enjoy almost everything it seems to offer. However, I know that there are more and more students wanting to go into Dermatology for the work hours and monetary reasons. Is the field becoming more flooded with docs, or is it just more competitive (to get the available residencies)? If I am able to go into Dermatology will I be able to find a job (~12 years from now)? and if so, will it be a job which enables me to pay back debt, or will the market be so flooded that I won't be able to find an average paying dermatology job (~$308k)? I am also interested in surgery, would that be a more future-proof option, or am I just anxious?
 
I am really interested in becoming a dermatologist, I enjoy almost everything it seems to offer. However, I know that there are more and more students wanting to go into Dermatology for the work hours and monetary reasons. Is the field becoming more flooded with docs, or is it just more competitive (to get the available residencies)? If I am able to go into Dermatology will I be able to find a job (~12 years from now)? and if so, will it be a job which enables me to pay back debt, or will the market be so flooded that I won't be able to find an average paying dermatology job (~$308k)? I am also interested in surgery, would that be a more future-proof option, or am I just anxious?
.

It seems you are a pre-med student. I encourage you not to worry until you get to medical school. In the meantime, please feel free to peruse our board but we typically only encourage medical students and higher to post.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.