is designated research required as a PICU Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_or_Die

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year MS and long time follower. I'm gearing up to apply to residency and I'm currently between anesthesia -> peds anesthesia vs peds -> PICU. My biggest concern would be whether or not most PICU attendings have to spend a portion of their year doing research rather than being clinical. I want my career to be 100% clinical and if I were to have to do designated research as a requirement to work PICU, I think I would swing towards anesthesia. I know it varies per institution but I'm unaware of the norm. I haven't seen many recent posts on this topic and I would appreciate any insight that you have. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Late to the party:

Just be aware that unless something dramatic changes with the American Board of Pediatrics, you will have to produce scholarly work during a PICU fellowship.

But I work a 100% clinical position, though I am in private practice. In a more typical academic appointment, a focus on education or a unique administrative task can supplant research requirements for promotion and tenure. I think there is a nascent movement of academic faculty NOT being the so called Triple Threats.