1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

is destroyer enough for orgo section?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by joonkimdds, Dec 25, 2008.

1. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I was wondering if DAT destroyer is good enough for DAT or if I should get more materials.

And how many orgo questions do you guys have on destroyer? mine is only 117.

#1 joonkimdds, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Panther85

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    i want to say that it just about all u need. however, i would make sure u know the road maps cold. the DAT doesnt care if you know obscure chemical rxns, just the main ones like Diels Alder and Friedel Crafts.

4. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My August one has 186 and IMO, it is not enough unless you have a killer background. IMO, read Kaplan and also your old textbook.

5. joedat41

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i know a bunch of people who just used the destroyer and then used topscire for the orgo and they did well, but it prob. depends on your background

6. dg7903

Pre-Dental
    That's strange because the one I have has 210 problems for the OC section. and I bought mine just last week. January 2009. I guess they keep adding problems in newer versions.

7. Epictetus21

Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    For O-Chem and Gen Chem, all you need is the Kaplan book. Period. Go with knowing every reaction in the Kaplan book and you will be just fine, unless you are gunning for a 23+, then mess with the other books. I used Destroyer for Biology, but it was way more detailed than necessary for Gen Chem and O-Chem. It didn't spend enough time on the basics that were actually on the DAT, and spent too much time on crazy exceptions that just ended up confusing me. However, for Biology, Destroyer is the way to go.

8. eldirty

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I dont think I would recommend just studying destroyer for any section ... maybe for QR. For me destroyer was a way to help me keep what I had studied fresh after studying another source. I studied my class notes, page by page for OC. The memorized the road maps in the few days just before test day.

9. Albuterol

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I memorized all the road maps and did the orgo problems 3-4x. Got a 29 so I would say yes, it was enough for me but might not be for you.

10. water88

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I only used Destroyer as well and got a 24. It should be enough if you're not completely starting from scratch.

11. BooSSted

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I just bought the january 09 version of DAT destroyer and im not finding any roadmaps. Can someone help me with this? From what I've read they are a crucial study material. Thanks.
    Tim

12. BooSSted

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    nevermind. Its amazing what you can find when you look a little bit harder. However, do any of you guys have any tips on how to memorize these bad boys?
    Thanks

13. Albuterol

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just make all of them into flashcards. Practice them every night and write them out a few times. You should be good to go.

14. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Destroyer Ochem is too hard.

15. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    How can being "too hard" be a bad thing. If you are prepared to do more advanced problems then the simpler ones are childs play. I have a strong background in the chemistries and I used only destroyer and some class notes and got 24's on both Ochem and Gchem. If you do not have a strong background in chemistry then first use some sort of notes or a review book, kaplans sucks but it may be ok as a background. Once you have the foundatkons then Destroyer is all you will need.