Is doing residency necessary?

Started by ewotri
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ewotri

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know doing a year of residency is not 'required', but some people say it'll help you get a job better. Is this true?🙄
 
Some teaching jobs require residencies.

If you just want to set yourself up in the corner of a mall next to an optical store, then it may help, but like you say, it isn't required.
 
Some teaching jobs require residencies.

If you just want to set yourself up in the corner of a mall next to an optical store, then it may help, but like you say, it isn't required.


I would say most or if not ALL teaching/VA/hospital positions will require a residency. If you are not interested in those areas then residency becomes less important. Of course, if you have a particular interest in a subject and want to learn more then that's a good reason to do one too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for replying🙂 I guess it's better to do a residency so I'll have more opportunities later on. No one knows what the future is. I might end up having to apply for a position in VA or the hospital later on......
 
Thank you for replying🙂 I guess it's better to do a residency so I'll have more opportunities later on. No one knows what the future is. I might end up having to apply for a position in VA or the hospital later on......
I think that's a good plan. I can tell you from experience that my disease residency open up doors that would not have been open otherwise. I can't say it resulted in a higher salary for my first job, but the ophthalmology group was looking for a residency trained OD. Then when I started lecturing, completing the residency gave me more credibility.
 
I take the unpopular stance that a year long residency should be a requirment for all OD students.
 
I'm in Canada where residencies are much more uncommon. That said,

Some teaching jobs require an MS or a PhD (in addition to the OD), but DO NOT require a residency.

Actually, we should probably define "teaching" here. If you want to teach a course in a school, lecturing on something specific, you would likely be better off with an MS/PhD. If you want to be an attending/clinic supervisor or teach a more clinical course, a residency will probably get you further.

Generally, I think if I were hiring for a clinical teaching position I would be more interested in a residency trained OD over an OD/MS (and probably even a OD/PhD).
 
Actually, you tried to define it above. You said the word, ALL.
 
Last edited:
Actually, you tried to define it above. You said the word, ALL.


But anyways, at the Univ of Waterloo, a total of THREE faculty members have done residencies. They are greatly outnumbered by those who have done an MS and/or PhD.

I don't understand why all your posts try to incite people to argue with you. I actually said "most or if not ALL."

Anyway, for clinical faculty that graduated from optometry school 15-20 years ago, there were very few residency programs around then. So, of course they won't be residency trained. Look at the newer clinical faculty members from the last 10 years or so and you will see that the majority have residencies. At least that's the case at the SUNY and a few other schools I've visited/interviewed for residency.

If you are graduating now, in the age of 200+ OD residency programs, a residency is essential for a clinical faculty position.