Is Dr. Collins enough for bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hchu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I will be taking my first pcat on July 21.
I am doing Kaplan's self-paced and I still have many videos left.
I am rushing to finish watching Kaplan, but I think some materials covered in Kaplan's video are too much.
Since I haven't finished questions in the back of the dr.collins, I'd rather start doing it instead of watching Kaplan.
what do you think?

and is orgo section in Dr. Collins enough for pcat?

Members don't see this ad.

I used both Dr.Collins and Kaplan's PCAT book to help me get a 99 in the biology section. Dr.Collins is short and sweet; it gets straight to the point in what you need to know without adding a lot of extra information that you will probably not be tested on. Kaplan's biology was really thorough and helped me answer 2-3 questions on the PCAT that Dr.Collins didn't go over. If you're pressed for time, just go with Dr.Collins because it will cover the vast majority of topics and there might be a few repeat questions that will look exactly the same on the PCAT. I never used Kaplan for chemistry, but Dr.Collins helped me get a 99 in the chemistry section.

I used both Dr.Collins and Kaplan's PCAT book to help me get a 99 in the biology section. Dr.Collins is short and sweet; it gets straight to the point in what you need to know without adding a lot of extra information that you will probably not be tested on. Kaplan's biology was really thorough and helped me answer 2-3 questions on the PCAT that Dr.Collins didn't go over. If you're pressed for time, just go with Dr.Collins because it will cover the vast majority of topics and there might be a few repeat questions that will look exactly the same on the PCAT. I never used Kaplan for chemistry, but Dr.Collins helped me get a 99 in the chemistry section.
Nice! I am a chemistry major so I was more worried about biology section. I guess I will just stick with Dr. collins and review Kaplan if I have enough time. Thank you

Last edited:
Yes I agree that Dr. Collins notes are enough for PCAT exam. They cover almost everything you need to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had Dr. Collins back in 2012-2013 and it seemed a bit weak on biology. I used Kaplan for Biology and Dr. Collins for everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

With 2 weeks until the PCAT would you say to concentrate on the study guide or the practice exams more for the biology section of Dr. Collins?

He was asking if he should concentrate on the Dr. Collin's study guide or Dr. Collin's practice problems which is difficult to answer because I used both of them extensively and they are both useful in their own ways :dead:

Sorry! I would practice the exams. Take and go over the exams, learn the concepts. If you get through those and feel confident then review the study guide, I'd say. Maybe take one week each, unless you finish earlier with the exams. That's what I did when I took it last year.

Sorry! I would practice the exams. Take and go over the exams, learn the concepts. If you get through those and feel confident then review the study guide, I'd say. Maybe take one week each, unless you finish earlier with the exams. That's what I did when I took it last year.
Thank you! Im going to focus on the practice exams. Also, for some of the chemistry problems that contain mathematical problems would you say you've seen some that are word for word or is it more of same problem but switching up the numbers? I keep getting stuck on a lot of them and would like to just memorize the ones I have trouble on if I can

Hi, I will be taking my first pcat on July 21.
I am doing Kaplan's self-paced and I still have many videos left.
I am rushing to finish watching Kaplan, but I think some materials covered in Kaplan's video are too much.
Since I haven't finished questions in the back of the dr.collins, I'd rather start doing it instead of watching Kaplan.
what do you think?

and is orgo section in Dr. Collins enough for pcat?
if you still need Dr collins hit me up im selling it

2 weeks is more then enough. Takes me 2 days to finish bio section at max, but I read quick because I already read it once. I believe in repetition.