Is EM really this bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshsterm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've been studying the different medical specialties, and I've liked a lot of what I've heard about EM. Most people say it is very challenging and stressful, but it's rewards outway the hardships.

But I just came across this web site: erbook.net which paints a very different picture of EM, and medicine in general. He basically says all the EM doctors he knows hate their jobs and only stay with them because they have families and other responsibilities. Has anyone else seen this site? Do you EM docs really hate your jobs this much?

Members don't see this ad.

joshsterm said:
Hey everyone,
I've been studying the different medical specialties, and I've liked a lot of what I've heard about EM. Most people say it is very challenging and stressful, but it's rewards outway the hardships.

But I just came across this web site: erbook.net which paints a very different picture of EM, and medicine in general. He basically says all the EM doctors he knows hate their jobs and only stay with them because they have families and other responsibilities. Has anyone else seen this site? Do you EM docs really hate your jobs this much?

I wouldn't take anything from the author of that website seriously. He looks like he has "issues" and may just be down right nuts. His numerous books include " How to Lose Weight without Dieting, Drugs, Herbs, Exercise, or Surgery" and "Love and Lust in the ER" (I'm guessing he has expertise in neither) as well as alot of general rantings and ravings on that website. Take anything from him with a grain of salt.

He's also quite humble. Check out this from his Bio:

After graduating from Wayne State University School of Medicine second in a class of 256, Dr. Pezzi pursued advanced training in emergency medicine, exercise physiology, nutrition, physics, and engineering. He was one of the few people in the country to be elected to Alpha Omega Alpha after the second year of medical school. Dr. Pezzi is currently practicing medicine and is also an inventor, with over 700 inventions to date. Being naturally shy, he has sweated his way through dozens of television, radio, and newspaper interviews — and he's now so acclimated to the trauma that his conditioned fear responses are almost gone. He has developed a new technique of fractional multiplication, in spite of his lifelong aversion to math. He has beaten Bill Gates, an acknowledged math and computer genius who is Chairman of Microsoft, Inc. and the richest man in the world, on a test of mathematical ability and logic. Dr. Pezzi is also the innovator of several medical procedures. His brother has called him "the absent-minded Professor," a characterization that is not without merit. For example, while a college student at Michigan State University, he once went into the wrong room to take a final exam. Even though he was not enrolled in the class, he scored 147 out of 150, easily the highest score achieved by any of the hundreds of students taking the test. As a sophomore in college, he decided that his future was in the CIA, not medicine, so he skipped most of organic chemistry. Three days before the final, he changed his mind, crammed, and received a 4.0 for the course. In spite of seriously misjudging the optimal strategy for taking the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT), he scored astronomically. A government official once claimed that Dr. Pezzi achieved the highest score ever attained on an IQ test administered nationwide, although Pezzi dismisses this as disingenuous pandering.

http://www.erbook.net/biograph.htm

I can't believe anyone sane would allow this to be on their website... :laugh:

Hawk22 said:
I wouldn't take anything from the author of that website seriously. He looks like he has "issues" and may just be down right nuts. His numerous books include " How to Lose Weight without Dieting, Drugs, Herbs, Exercise, or Surgery" and "Love and Lust in the ER" (I'm guessing he has expertise in neither) as well as alot of general rantings and ravings on that website. Take anything from him with a grain of salt.
Yeah I agree, he definitely doesn't sound reliable after reading more stuff on there. But I am interested in hearing how satisfied some EM doctors are with their jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hawk22 said:

He's also quite humble. Check out this from his Bio:

http://www.erbook.net/biograph.htm

I can't believe anyone sane would allow this to be on their website... :laugh:
this is nonsense. he's clearly plagiarizing from chuck norris.

MirrorTodd said:
All the ER docs I've met love their jobs. But, I'm not the smartest man in the world, so whatever I say means didley squat.

Agreed, most ER docs are enthusiastic about their jobs. Sure we complain about the drug seekers, drunks, and psych patients, but in the end it's a helluva lot more fun than any of those "other" services.

I think he gives a clue why he hates his job: "Being naturally shy, he has sweated his way through dozens of television, radio, and newspaper interviews — and he's now so acclimated to the trauma that his conditioned fear responses are almost gone."

Doesn't sound like he's a people person. You must be a people person to enjoy emergency medicine, or any clinical field of medicine. I don't think he would be happy with any field of medicine except something that doesn't involve interacting with people.

EC3 said:
this is nonsense. he's clearly plagiarizing from chuck norris.
If Chuck Norris were a physician, he would practice Emergency Medicine.

We would have to change the name of the specialty to reflect this fact, and it would be known as "Chuck Norrisology" from that day forward.

"I graduated in the top 1% of my class in medical school, and was such a shoo-in for an ER residency position (the most coveted residency at that time) that I was offered an under-the-table deal because they wanted to ensure that no other hospital lured me away. The director of my residency program once commented that I was the smartest resident they ever had, and one of my former bosses told me that I was the smartest doctor he ever met."

this guy displays the classic grandiose statements of biopolar manic activation. EM was not the most coveted residency at that (or any) time. isn't it just now growing to be more competative than average? i'll bet this guy is just absolutely unbearable to be around.

GeneralVeers said:
Agreed, most ER docs are enthusiastic about their jobs. Sure we complain about the drug seekers, drunks, and psych patients, but in the end it's a helluva lot more fun than any of those "other" services.
Am I weird??? These are my favorite patients.

joshsterm said:
Hey everyone,

I had to favorite this site. Now everytime somebody calls me the worlds biggest ass I have proof that there is bigger out there. Viva Transcontinentia Buttocks....

docB said:
Now that's a signature worthy quote.
Hmmm, you may be on to something there.