1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Is EM really this bad?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by joshsterm, Aug 13, 2006.

1. joshsterm

joshsterm New Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone,
    I've been studying the different medical specialties, and I've liked a lot of what I've heard about EM. Most people say it is very challenging and stressful, but it's rewards outway the hardships.

But I just came across this web site: erbook.net which paints a very different picture of EM, and medicine in general. He basically says all the EM doctors he knows hate their jobs and only stay with them because they have families and other responsibilities. Has anyone else seen this site? Do you EM docs really hate your jobs this much?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hawk22

Hawk22 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wouldn't take anything from the author of that website seriously. He looks like he has "issues" and may just be down right nuts. His numerous books include " How to Lose Weight without Dieting, Drugs, Herbs, Exercise, or Surgery" and "Love and Lust in the ER" (I'm guessing he has expertise in neither) as well as alot of general rantings and ravings on that website. Take anything from him with a grain of salt.

He's also quite humble. Check out this from his Bio:

http://www.erbook.net/biograph.htm

I can't believe anyone sane would allow this to be on their website... :laugh:

4. joshsterm

joshsterm New Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah I agree, he definitely doesn't sound reliable after reading more stuff on there. But I am interested in hearing how satisfied some EM doctors are with their jobs.

5. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    All the ER docs I've met love their jobs. But, I'm not the smartest man in the world, so whatever I say means didley squat.

6. EC3

EC3 Member
    5+ Year Member

this is nonsense. he's clearly plagiarizing from chuck norris.

7. GeneralVeers

GeneralVeers Globus Hystericus
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Agreed, most ER docs are enthusiastic about their jobs. Sure we complain about the drug seekers, drunks, and psych patients, but in the end it's a helluva lot more fun than any of those "other" services.

8. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think he gives a clue why he hates his job: "Being naturally shy, he has sweated his way through dozens of television, radio, and newspaper interviews — and he's now so acclimated to the trauma that his conditioned fear responses are almost gone."

Doesn't sound like he's a people person. You must be a people person to enjoy emergency medicine, or any clinical field of medicine. I don't think he would be happy with any field of medicine except something that doesn't involve interacting with people.

9. Febrifuge

Febrifuge Grizzled Old Newcomer
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If Chuck Norris were a physician, he would practice Emergency Medicine.

We would have to change the name of the specialty to reflect this fact, and it would be known as "Chuck Norrisology" from that day forward.

10. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

"I graduated in the top 1% of my class in medical school, and was such a shoo-in for an ER residency position (the most coveted residency at that time) that I was offered an under-the-table deal because they wanted to ensure that no other hospital lured me away. The director of my residency program once commented that I was the smartest resident they ever had, and one of my former bosses told me that I was the smartest doctor he ever met."

this guy displays the classic grandiose statements of biopolar manic activation. EM was not the most coveted residency at that (or any) time. isn't it just now growing to be more competative than average? i'll bet this guy is just absolutely unbearable to be around.

11. docB

docB Chronically painful
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Now that's a signature worthy quote.

12. il matadori

il matadori Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Am I weird??? These are my favorite patients.

13. totalbodypain

totalbodypain banana bag in hand
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I had to favorite this site. Now everytime somebody calls me the worlds biggest ass I have proof that there is bigger out there. Viva Transcontinentia Buttocks....

14. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Can I get this guy to write my SLOR?

15. Febrifuge

Febrifuge Grizzled Old Newcomer
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Hmmm, you may be on to something there.