Is ENT the most competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

McAllenHopeful

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this is taking stock in a lot of different people within this network, but after reading threads in Derm and Uro and Ortho, I'm wondering if ENT is the hardest residency to get into. There's a thread on the Derm forum stating that average matching Step 1 scores are mid-230's, but there are 300 or so spots around the nation. Uro and Ortho threads both say that to match at the most competitive programs, you'll need a 230, but for other programs you can just aim for above average. It was said in an ENT thread that you need to shoot for a 235 just to match, and I think I remember reading that there were only 150 or so ENT spots in the nation. So I guess what I'm wondering is if ENT is the hardest specialty to get into.
 
McAllenHopeful said:
I know this is taking stock in a lot of different people within this network, but after reading threads in Derm and Uro and Ortho, I'm wondering if ENT is the hardest residency to get into. There's a thread on the Derm forum stating that average matching Step 1 scores are mid-230's, but there are 300 or so spots around the nation. Uro and Ortho threads both say that to match at the most competitive programs, you'll need a 230, but for other programs you can just aim for above average. It was said in an ENT thread that you need to shoot for a 235 just to match, and I think I remember reading that there were only 150 or so ENT spots in the nation. So I guess what I'm wondering is if ENT is the hardest specialty to get into.

Not sure about that. Integrated Plastics and Derm come to mind when talking about uber-competitive residencies.

From what I understand, average Step 1 score for ENT is ~237 (I think). So yes, ENT is competitive as hell. Just not sure it's the "most" competitive.
 
I vote for derm way before oto for the hardest to get into. There may be more derm spots, but there are also many more people wanting to make $$$ with the sweet lifestyle of a dermatologist.