You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted994703
no strategy- just accept that you will be in debt for the rest of your life.
D
deleted1103614
isnt it better to pursue other career?no strategy- just accept that you will be in debt for the rest of your life.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is the best strategy.If not, please share your strategies to tackle your debt...
Make the minimum payments. Only vote for Democrats. And hope to get your loans forgiven one day.
D
deleted1103614
I don't think I can be rich by pursuing dentistry.If youre going into dentistry to become rich then yeah it probably is better to look into other careers.
Going into 600-700k in debt will wreck your finance unless you have a solid plan.
D
deleted994703
honestly i don’t think there’s a solid plan to tackle that high of a loan, don’t forget to add the interest.I don't think I can be rich by pursuing dentistry. Going into 600-700k in debt will wreck your finance unless you have a solid plan.
D
deleted1082923
I don't think there is really any hope once you've taken that much out. Add an average interest rate of 6% annually and you're basically never going to get anywhere financially. It really doesn't make any sense if you truly take out the full COA in loans. You are honestly better off doing almost anything else. One year out of a GPR in NYC you make 140k. Take away taxes, and loan payments, and what are you left with? You're basically at the financial level of a fast food worker.I don't think I can be rich by pursuing dentistry.
Going into 600-700k in debt will wreck your finance unless you have a solid plan.
D
deleted1103614
Exactly. I can't believe NYU and USC have no problem filling their seats every yearYou're basically at the financial level of a fast food worker.
Make the minimum payments and use the money toward actually what matters (family, lifestyle). Remember guys, Loans can last forever, our lives on the other hand go by quicker than you think.... And when the tax bomb comes, we'll post pone that too. 🙂
Last edited:
D
deleted994703
a dental hygienist and dentist have different scopes of practice. but agreed dental hygiene would be a great backupIf you truly love dentistry, why don't you become a dental hygienist instead? you will be better off financially...
700k debt is no joke
Posts like this really show how out touch a lot of dental and med students are with the American middle and lower classOne year out of a GPR in NYC you make 140k. Take away taxes, and loan payments, and what are you left with? You're basically at the financial level of a fast food worker.
Theres literally no situation in which a dentist has the QoL of a minimum wage worker unless you owe millions to a loan shark in the Russian mafia. Even with private dschool debt, I would wager almost every dental grad will live comfortably and far better than the average American. If you want an S class and second home by 30, then yea I agree an expensive dental school isn't worth it.140k is not 140k when you have 700k in debt. you can barely pay off the interest accruing
Ah, these NYU/USC posts have to make up at least half of all posts on these threads lol
Knew of a few people that attended either NYU or USC. Most of them took out loans and made it happen. Maybe one was covered thanks to one of the military programs?
I interviewed at USC back at the day and they will openly tell you that the average graduate debt is 400-500K and the average salary of a general dentist in southern California is 88K. One of the more memorable moments for me on the interview trail (2012).
I interviewed at USC back at the day and they will openly tell you that the average graduate debt is 400-500K and the average salary of a general dentist in southern California is 88K. One of the more memorable moments for me on the interview trail (2012).