Is everyone else going nuts?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoughtFyr

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've have looked up houses for sale in each of the cities of my top five programs. Sleep is a distant memory and I think I have officially reached full-on psychosis. I just want to KNOW! :eek:
I really don't even care where I go anymore, I just want the wait to be over.

Yep, I'm obsessing (and my wife is too)! I can't wait anymore...

:scared:

ARRGH!!!

- H

BTW - I've already started packing - if that tells you anything... :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

I have been fairly calm but also working EM for 15 days straight so I can have the second half of the month off to go where I matched and find a house and school for my little girl. We just received an email from NRMP today and that got me a little anxious. Just keep yourself busy. 1 more week. GOOD LUCK ALL!

Members don't see this ad :)
The email was sent this evening and it explained what to expect on the 15th and 18th and instructions on scrambling if you need to. It wasn't the content that made me anxious just the fact that it's been a while since I heard from NRMP and that it is only a week away.

The email is the NMRP instructions for the week of the match.

In the OCD category, so far my spouse has purchased a house on a lake at our #2 rank and today put a deposit on a farm house at our #1 site. We already own a house near #3 & #4 or he'd probably buy there too.

Kind of looking forward to find out, too.

FF,

I know exactly what you mean - I've been hitting all of the realtor web sites in the cities where I might end up. This move is going to be tough - I can't make arrangements for the movers until I know where I'm going, but it's going to take up to 3 months for my household goods to get shipped from Japan to the US.

1. over 1/2 your house is already packed up
2. realtor.com is your favorite new website
3. you check airfare prices to your top 4 locations daily
4. For Sale signs are already waiting in your garage
5. Moving Sale already planned for weekend after match
(with flyer pre-printed of course)
6. You've re-arranged your class schedule yet again to take
courses with more time off/more vacation for the end of the
year
7. you have all the mail forwarding forms waiting on your kitchen
table
8. your kids are planning summer activities at 1 of several
different places
9. daily you wonder the purpose of this tortuous wait since our
ROL was due.

JUST STOP THE INSANITY!

you know, i think that i'm just going nuts, period.

Mostly I'm trying to figure out how to keep other resident-to-be's from buying my choice house out from under me. Unfortunately we can't buy houses around our top 3 picks. :wow:

C

My wife is the one with the OCD, she is wondering where she will have to get her next job. Luckily anyplace we go her job will have housing most likely provided for at least 3 mo, so it will give us a chance to look around for a home instead of making a weekend trip and taking what we can find.

Originally posted by vtach
My wife is the one with the OCD, she is wondering where she will have to get her next job. Luckily anyplace we go her job will have housing most likely provided for at least 3 mo, so it will give us a chance to look around for a home instead of making a weekend trip and taking what we can find.

The biggest pain in the ass in terms of waiting is after the "black monday" where you find out IF you matched and have to wait for match day. You know that your location is definitely sitting in an office somewhere, you just can't have it.

I would try to get your house squared away before residency starts. I moved in during one of those light orientation months and it was a real pain, because of the night ED shifts. It would have really been bad if I were into my next call rotation.

mike

Black Monday is approaching and I for one, want to leave my pager at home -- turned off! Especially because it is a 'fun prank' to page your friends to the Dean's office on Monday -- not fun in my book! I am confident I will Match but it's the whole fraternity/sorority rush concept all over again :) I guess we'll see if PD and resident comments about "hoping to see you here this summer" mean anything. Good luck everyone.

I went through the hell of applying to residency and the waiting for a spot twice. It's nerve-wracking, I know. Try to distract yourself with activity, that's the only thing that I know that works.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I have been doing. I've been running, roller-blading, biking all day just to keep myself busy (I had a great half-marathon sunday) and keep my mind off the match. I have also been living in a state of denial that I might have to move. ETOH has helped a bit too. I really haven't thought about it much since Feb. 25th, but all these e-mails we keep getting from the NRMP keep trying to remind me. At least it is only 1.5 weeks away. It seems like not that long ago that I thought the application/interview process would never end. Good luck everyone.

Pelivar

Originally posted by PhantomShadow
Black Monday is approaching and I for one, want to leave my pager at home -- turned off! Especially because it is a 'fun prank' to page your friends to the Dean's office on Monday -- not fun in my book! I am confident I will Match but it's the whole fraternity/sorority rush concept all over again :) I guess we'll see if PD and resident comments about "hoping to see you here this summer" mean anything. Good luck everyone.

People have been kicked out of medical school for this when they played the joke on the "wrong" people. I would be careful. It would suck to have to work at Burger King after getting kicked out 2-3 months before med school graduation.

mike

What do you have against Burger King?

Originally posted by edinOH
What do you have against Burger King?

I'm sorry, I forgot that is the pinnacle of capitalist success down 'der in Baton Rouge.

mike

Originally posted by mikecwru
I'm sorry, I forgot that is the pinnacle of capitalist success down 'der in Baton Rouge.

mike

Actually that would be Popeye's Chicken.

Originally posted by edinOH
Actually that would be Popeye's Chicken.

Will probably be the Wal-Mart as soon as they put one of them in.

mike

Originally posted by mikecwru
Will probably be the Wal-Mart as soon as they put one of them in.

mike

Dude...I love your M.D.=Massive Debt quote....

Its so funny because its so damn true!!!

Yeah, this whole thing is getting me down. Can't someone's little brother hack into the NRMP computer or something? What's wrong with the youth of today?!?

Good luck.

Originally posted by Lumberg
Yeah, this whole thing is getting me down. Can't someone's little brother hack into the NRMP computer or something? What's wrong with the youth of today?!?

Good luck.

If you find such a hacker pm me, I'll give you my name! :laugh:

:p

- H

Originally posted by Lumberg
Can't someone's little brother hack into the NRMP computer or something?

would that really help..? knowing most "little brothers" they wouldn't do anything useful, all they'de do is change it so everyones match letter said something to do with farts... ;)

Here I thought I'd celebrate match day by getting drunk--Now I think I'll celebrate by sobering up.

this is brutal!

I am coping with all the stress by getting drunk consistently everynight. actually hammered right now. sobriety is like an elusive butterfly, looks pretty from afar but damn hard to actually get

Originally posted by SewerRat
I am coping with all the stress by getting drunk consistently everynight. actually hammered right now. sobriety is like an elusive butterfly, looks pretty from afar but damn hard to actually get

strong work posting at 4 in the AM!

:clap:

Q, DO

This has been the longest day of my life. Although I am confident I will match, one never knows, especially with the poplularity of EM. I hope tomorrow morning goes by a little faster. I wonder if PD are as anxious?

One person on this board just had to send me an email this morning with the subject line that read something like "NRMP: Scramble Instructions - Sorry, you did not match."

Thank God I opened it today instead of on Monday.

Watch out for that edinOH guy... not to mention any names or anything.

Originally posted by Geek Medic
One person on this board just had to send me an email this morning with the subject line that read something like "NRMP: Scramble Instructions - Sorry, you did not match."

Thank God I opened it today instead of on Monday.

Watch out for that edinOH guy... not to mention any names or anything.

That is hardcore! That type of practical joke is why I just can't seem to start such a battle. That would give you an arrhythmia even before Monday!

Good luck to all, I almost can't wait to be in your shoes!

Originally posted by DrDre'
That is hardcore! That type of practical joke is why I just can't seem to start such a battle. That would give you an arrhythmia even before Monday!

Good luck to all, I almost can't wait to be in your shoes!

That's OK. I'm gonna post naked pics of his wife on the internet. ;)

Just kidding man, just kidding!