Is Facebook necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HPDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have deleted my facebook for about 3 years now. Would anyone recommend facebook for medical school?

Besides social networking, does anyone find it useful for class discussions and such?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually the class makes a facebook site, which would be handy for things such as people putting up practice tests, general class cohesion, class being canceled/most up to date info about where people are if you're meeting up. And if people have an exam question, or are stuck on a problem, classmates/facebook is good for that too. I do find it useful and would recommend it.

If you're worried about spending too much time on it, just make a new one ONLY for class, and only friend classmates. That way you're not caught up in friend of a friend of a friend's new puppy or ex-girlfriend or such.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Usually the class makes a facebook site, which would be handy for things such as people putting up practice tests, general class cohesion, class being canceled/most up to date info about where people are if you're meeting up. And if people have an exam question, or are stuck on a problem, classmates/facebook is good for that too. I do find it useful and would recommend it.

If you're worried about spending too much time on it, just make a new one ONLY for class, and only friend classmates. That way you're not caught up in friend of a friend of a friend's new puppy or ex-girlfriend or such.

Google group is way better for this than Facebook.

Google group is way better for this than Facebook.

No one even knows what those are, much less that they exist or how to create one. In other words, not likely to get used for that. What we do use Google for here are spreadsheets to sign people up for things as well as forms and such. Google Docs is a solid system. Facebook has decent file upload features and such and most people have an account that they use frequently so it's the easiest way to do things.

Reactions: 1 users
If you can resist from abusing facebook for social interactions (by abusing I mean waste a lot of time) and use it primarily for notifications from your med school's class facebook page, I would say that you could benefit greatly.

A lot of resources and tips get posted there as others have said.

I have an active Facebook and love looking at it but for medical school it just doesn't work for me. I force myself to not look at it (through a very powerful incentive not to) at certain points before exams.

The 95 percent of my class on Facebook assumes that everyone sees the messages they put there, but there are a few people at school who don't have profiles. There are things that I miss--I will find myself asking my friends for clarification on something that was discussed heavily in my class's facebook group. However, I do find that the cons outweigh the pros on this one. Passing med school trumps any benefit I might get. People know to text or email me.

I have deleted my facebook for about 3 years now. Would anyone
recommend facebook for medical school?

Besides social networking, does anyone find it useful for class discussions and such?

I rarely use my facebook. But from what I can tell, our class group is mostly club/event/activity spam.

Got off it long ago. Not needed. Some stuff is communicated on the Facebook group, but if you talk to people in your class at all, it's not at all needed.

Facebook is the epitome of the two horrible human impulses of narcissism and voyeurism.

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts!

It would be useful for discussions and events. I was considering just creating a professional private account for med school. But I know that eventually my feed will be cluttered with spam and useless updates.

All old and new friends/classmates that I care about, I speak with via text/email/in person. Don't really need FB in my life. I've gone all these years without it, and will probably keep it that way.

...although it would be nice to see fresh faces on Windows Phone live tile :)

No one even knows what those are, much less that they exist or how to create one. In other words, not likely to get used for that. What we do use Google for here are spreadsheets to sign people up for things as well as forms and such. Google Docs is a solid system. Facebook has decent file upload features and such and most people have an account that they use frequently so it's the easiest way to do things.

Wow are you really suggesting that because you can't figure out how to use Google Groups that no one can? That's funny.

It's super easy and super useful. Everyone gets contacted when new posts are made or when someone uploads a study guide.

Wow are you really suggesting that because you can't figure out how to use Google Groups that no one can? That's funny.

It's super easy and super useful. Everyone gets contacted when new posts are made or when someone uploads a study guide.

Not at all. I have no doubt I could figure it out if I had a desire to. What I am saying is that everyone else already has Facebook. Functionality isn't what wins people to a new platform usually. Further, everything you just said GG has FB has as well (and its integrated with your FB account). What does GG offer that FbG doesn't?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all. I have no doubt I could figure it out if I had a desire to. What I am saying is that everyone else already has Facebook. Functionality isn't what wins people to a new platform usually. Further, everything you just said GG has FB has as well (and its integrated with your FB account). What does GG offer that FbG doesn't?

Hate to break the news to you, but google groups existed long before TheFacebook.com existed (ever heard of that one...probably not since in your mind Facebook has probably always existed). GG offers consistency with the unlikeliness that it will just be randomly changed without warning.

Got off it long ago. Not needed. Some stuff is communicated on the Facebook group, but if you talk to people in your class at all, it's not at all needed.

Facebook is the epitome of the two horrible human impulses of narcissism and voyeurism.

couldn't have put it better myself

90-95% of my classmates use Facebook. You may not need it to communicate as a whole(class emails usually are more convenient), but its a really great social network tool in general. Of course, the downside can be if there are the rare people who are nauseatingly annoying. The two categories they fall into are:

1) posts 10 statuses a day about medical advice and blog links that are medically related
2) Complains about everything in med school and makes it seem like they are living in hell.

It's also interesting to see what witty names people use during interview season :p

Hate to break the news to you, but google groups existed long before TheFacebook.com existed (ever heard of that one...probably not since in your mind Facebook has probably always existed). GG offers consistency with the unlikeliness that it will just be randomly changed without warning.

Umm... yes, I've heard of "TheFacebok.com." Myspace was just getting popular my freshmen yr of college thank you very much. (You don't have to be a patronizing d-bag, btw.) I think you're STILL not getting it. It does not matter whether or not Google Groups is newer or older than Facebook. That is irrelevant. The OP is asking whether FB is helpful as a medical student. It would be ridiculous for him to start a Google Group and then get up in lecture one day and announce to the entire class that, "the new online forum for our class is a Google Group, just go to groups.google.com/xyzsom2016," because no one would do it. They would stick to what they're comfortable with. It doesn't matter that Google has a better system (honestly, this is not the least bit surprising to me). You're arguing for the sake of arguing, dude. Get over yourself.

Umm... yes, I've heard of "TheFacebok.com." Myspace was just getting popular my freshmen yr of college thank you very much. (You don't have to be a patronizing d-bag, btw.) I think you're STILL not getting it. It does not matter whether or not Google Groups is newer or older than Facebook. That is irrelevant. The OP is asking whether FB is helpful as a medical student. It would be ridiculous for him to start a Google Group and then get up in lecture one day and announce to the entire class that, "the new online forum for our class is a Google Group, just go to groups.google.com/xyzsom2016," because no one would do it. They would stick to what they're comfortable with. It doesn't matter that Google has a better system (honestly, this is not the least bit surprising to me). You're arguing for the sake of arguing, dude. Get over yourself.

I admit I was a little mean, and I do apologize. I think you are missing my point a little as well. You are assuming that his school is automatically going to flock to FB over GG because that's what your school did. Mine did the opposite. We don't use a FB group at my school. We started from the very beginning with a GG.

I'm an MS1 right now. At least 10 people in my class do not have facebook. Actually seems kinda nice.

Your asperger's is showing.

I think it's pretty important to have an account to be a part of the facebook group. It's incredibly useful to be able to communicate with the rest of the class as a group and that is the most common platform used.

We share study materials through the group, both by sharing direct links and by linking dropbox files. We also share things like what assignments are coming up, what readings we need to do for quizzes when we have them, and what events are happening. It's really useful.

Plus just the social component of it is entertaining, there are some pretty funny people in my class.

I think on top of that longer term it is very important to have a facebook account for networking. By the end of medical school I'll have something like 3 or 4 classes worth of medical students on my friends list (all sorted under a group "work people" except for the people I really like). Why is this important? Getting a job is all about connections. When I graduate residency, I'll have this huge network of people I can get ahold of (and their networks by extension). I think you are missing out on something by failing to cultivate that.

fb is important for keeping track of which classmates are getting hitched

Ditto this. Our class FB group has been really helpful and collaborative. People will post their study guides or workshop notes, share useful links, etc. It's also very helpful for discussing confusing questions on the old exams they give us for review.

Your asperger's is showing.

I think it's pretty important to have an account to be a part of the facebook group. It's incredibly useful to be able to communicate with the rest of the class as a group and that is the most common platform used.

We share study materials through the group, both by sharing direct links and by linking dropbox files. We also share things like what assignments are coming up, what readings we need to do for quizzes when we have them, and what events are happening. It's really useful.

Plus just the social component of it is entertaining, there are some pretty funny people in my class.

I think on top of that longer term it is very important to have a facebook account for networking. By the end of medical school I'll have something like 3 or 4 classes worth of medical students on my friends list (all sorted under a group "work people" except for the people I really like). Why is this important? Getting a job is all about connections. When I graduate residency, I'll have this huge network of people I can get ahold of (and their networks by extension). I think you are missing out on something by failing to cultivate that.

Hahaha impeccable diagnosis Textbook...err Dr. House. I think you have a bright future in psychiatry. Hey Stellar, I think you need to make an appt with a psychiatrist ASAP...you've been undiagnosed much too long.

Textbook, you also seem to be assuming that Stellar doesn't have FB. See the quotes below...we've already identified the only two people in America to not use FB.

I have deleted my facebook for about 3 years now. Would anyone recommend facebook for medical school?

All kidding aside, it seems that there has been some misunderstanding that I could potentially see why Stellar was becoming so irate. You guys keep assuming that because your school uses FB to share information that that's the way EVERY school does it. My school also used google groups to share information with each other. It was very handy. I bet FB is very good too.

OP--you just need to find out what means your class will be using to distribute information amongst yourselves. If it is indeed FB, then you should definitely reactivate your account. As far as networking is concerned, sure FB makes it easy to contact people, but it's just as easy (and more personable) to pick up the phone and make a call.

The med school usually has a class group on the site and so do many societies. Different PBL groups and clinical skills groups might use the site. I mean, you are sort of seen as a bit anti-social if people find out you don't have facebook.

For me, facebook is incredibly not distracting. I use facebook mainly for messaging, discussions and rarely stay on it for more than 5 minutes.

I am one of those without a FB account, and I'm thankful I don't. Others that do have it are constantly complaining about how things get confused or errata are posted, or just way too much drama. I am lucky enough to have a person that will email out any useful files posted to it to everyone that doesn't have a FB (there are many of us). It's easy enough to find and fix the minor errata once documents have made it to that point. So that way I get all the benefit without having to sift through all the useless info.

There would probably be someone willing to do the same for you, you just need to ask.

I deleted mine at the start of M2. It is pretty pointless. It was helpful for awhile,especially when I was trying to meet new people, but really no longer is. It's mostly spam for clubs and random memes. It was becoming a distraction and I was starting to get paranoid of putting personal info out there anymore.

I deleted mine at the start of M2. It is pretty pointless. It was helpful for awhile,especially when I was trying to meet new people, but really no longer is. It's mostly spam for clubs and random memes. It was becoming a distraction and I was starting to get paranoid of putting personal info out there anymore.

Same here. Had one briefly because I was trying it out and heard people use it.

Hated it. Closed it. Life continues as normal. Minus the useless minutia of the lives of people I barely know. And people contacting me from some distant past.

Facebook sucks.

I only use Facebook to keep up with friends outside of med school. For the most part the facebook posts my med school friends make just make me feel bad about myself.

Well said! That hits the exact spot of the way I see facebook. That was brilliant.

When I was beginning my first year, I finally caved and started a facebook account for the purpose of using it for our class page. Absolutely worthless. All it has been is people seeing who can be the biggest smart ass or bragging about how much they study, etc.... Deactivated after the first year.

When I was beginning my first year, I finally caved and started a facebook account for the purpose of using it for our class page. Absolutely worthless. All it has been is people seeing who can be the biggest smart ass or bragging about how much they study, etc.... Deactivated after the first year.

Wow... yeah, definitely not how it is w/ my class. Our posts are generally quite helpful (tons of study guides, study groups, lab group switching, etc.). People's statuses, when about med school, are usually funny observations, comments, etc. with the occasional groan, haha.

You know you're on SDN when the majority of posters apparently don't have a facebook.

I have one, I may have a tendency to be on it more than would be optimal, but I keep personal info that wouldn't be instantably searchable (like address, phone number) off it. Everything else google already knows about me if you know my name.

I don't think I can blame facebook for any shortcomings I may have had in school. If it wasn't facebook, it would've been something else.

**bump....

4 years later - 2017: is facebook a necessity for medical school??

Hell no, it's the anti-christ.
Yes, only weirdos don't have Facebook

Can either of you gift us a full anecdote? Why "yes" or why "no"?

Why aren't SDN threads closed after a couple YEARS of inactivity?

I can't say for sure why; however, people get mad if you don't "use the search bar" on SDN. This thread is addressing the exact question I have.... but it's been a minute since the original poster asked it. A lot has happened since 2013, so I'd love to get some input! Cheers.

**bump....

4 years later - 2017: is facebook a necessity for medical school??
Nope. Not unless your school uses it in an official capacity for announcements, etc.

I've never had facebook and I've gotten along fine. Huge invasion of privacy. If classmates are sharing resources on a class page, you could ask your friends to share with you directly. Our class has a google drive we share things on.

I used FB back in high school/college when it was more pure and meant to keep you in touch with friends and family.

Lately, FB has become, in my opinion, a shrine to the self where we are inundated with silly things like what someone ate for dinner (often with pictures), the precise timing someone's baby said the word "mama," political causes, etc. As such, it also represents a barrier to maintaining privacy. Sometimes, I take silly pictures with friends where things may not be completely appropriate at least in the eyes of potential superiors/employers, so I also don't want to worry about putting myself in a position where something I post (or someone tags me in) can be used to form an opinion of me and potentially hurt me in the "real world."

I call my friends and family. I snap chat sometimes too. I just don't have a real use for FB anymore, and after weighing the pro's and con's decided years ago to do away with it all together.

Reactions: 1 users
No facebook crew checking in.

Before graduating UG, I realized that Facebook made me less happy. I kept making excuses for keeping an account like being in contact with people or something, but these were just excuses. In reality, FB was just a lot of keeping up with the Jones' and getting 30 likes on a pic I took this weekend. I would check my own status, likes, and notifications more than using it for what FB should be used for. It was so bad that it would creep into thoughts - I've got to take a picture of this so people know what I'm doing and stuff.

Anyway, FB got unhealthy for me and I think lots of people ignore that potential. It is there. I've been without FB for maybe 3-4 years now and I am still in touch with those people I thought I would lose touch with. I still have relationships with people I thought I would miss out on. I still talk with people and network. This has just been my experience. I'm glad I live in the now rather than on a webpage like I used to.

No facebook crew checking in.

Before graduating UG, I realized that Facebook made me less happy. I kept making excuses for keeping an account like being in contact with people or something, but these were just excuses. In reality, FB was just a lot of keeping up with the Jones' and getting 30 likes on a pic I took this weekend. I would check my own status, likes, and notifications more than using it for what FB should be used for. It was so bad that it would creep into thoughts - I've got to take a picture of this so people know what I'm doing and stuff.

Anyway, FB got unhealthy for me and I think lots of people ignore that potential. It is there. I've been without FB for maybe 3-4 years now and I am still in touch with those people I thought I would lose touch with. I still have relationships with people I thought I would miss out on. I still talk with people and network. This has just been my experience. I'm glad I live in the now rather than on a webpage like I used to.
Right on. I've done the same thing since undergrad... just wasn't so sure if you could succeed in med school these days without it :).

I liked the closed FB page for my class. It was easy to meet people and to plan activities. I don't go on much as a second year, but it was easier to use than email and less annoying than group texts.

We had a facebook group for every single year that we opened and exchanged files as well as tips. Often the teachers also created a facebook group and uploaded additional stuff that helped out. So yes, it is worth it.

I disabled my Facebook account but I kept the Messenger app. It's a convenient way of messaging people whose phone numbers I don't have.