is First Aid enough for 99?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbluedevil401

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a thorough run through of First Aid, provided we understand most of the mechanisms from the kaplan notes enough to score 99 on step 1?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, what i am saying , what should one be reading around 10 days prior to his/her exam? first aid or kaplan notes?

Basically, what i am saying , what should one be reading around 10 days prior to his/her exam? first aid or kaplan notes?

Last few days, you should concentrate on one source. Kaplan notes are too much. Read first aid about 2 or 3 times the last two weeks just as a review.

As for prep, it really depends on your background knowledge. You can do first aid + uworld + goljan or you can do the above + kaplan. But I think the former should put you in a safe place!

well, i havent been using golijan , so its a little late for that plan.

i have finished UW, and kaplan notes around 3 times. My last nbme 6 was 240 and i wasnt quite sure what to do next. i have around 3 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, i havent been using golijan , so its a little late for that plan.

i have finished UW, and kaplan notes around 3 times. My last nbme 6 was 240 and i wasnt quite sure what to do next. i have around 3 weeks.

I personally used Goljan RR in addition to FA but I know of several classmates who just used FA and World and scored 99 (either 229 or 230 and above IIRC)

first aid is not enough for a 99 in itself, but it's a great high yield review. The golden combo of scoring a 99 has always been goljan + FA + Uworld , and plus or minus brs phys

In the last 10 days, i'd strongly suggest looking at all of FA again and going through the chapters you're weak on in Goljan - you don't need to do the whole book, but i'd say the GI, cards, resp, neuro, and a few others are worth a read. it will probably take you just a few days to cover the most high yield chapters of goljan...kaplan is way way way too dense.

in the very least review the 'blue points' in goljan, i did all of the blue points, which are his 'high yield' margin facts in 1 day - 12 hours. not a big deal, and i'd say i ran into quite a few questions based on those..

first aid is not enough for a 99 in itself, but it's a great high yield review. The golden combo of scoring a 99 has always been goljan + FA + Uworld , and plus or minus brs phys

So, I have a question for you. I am using Board/Step 1 books for studying for classes (extra questions for practice, content for reviewing class material).
For instance, there is High Yield Gross Anatomy, BRS Biochem, or High Yield Embryology.

Do people study these books for Step I, or really just focus on USMLE, FA, Goljan (is that for Pathology?) and BRS Phys?

So, I have a question for you. I am using Board/Step 1 books for studying for classes (extra questions for practice, content for reviewing class material).
For instance, there is High Yield Gross Anatomy, BRS Biochem, or High Yield Embryology.

Do people study these books for Step I, or really just focus on USMLE, FA, Goljan (is that for Pathology?) and BRS Phys?

IMO you should only focus on UW, FA, and Goljan (yes for Path). That triad has worked for many people. If you are weak in specific areas then you need to add sources as needed for quick review (not reading in full). I used HY Neuro and HY Molec and Bio. I felt comfortable with Physio so I did not even touch BRS Physio - a lot of people say that it's a must but I disagree.

I personally think the Biochem and Embryo sections were good enough in FA 2010 and I wouldn't use the HY books for those unless you are really struggling with them especially not embryo since it's only a few questions. I only got 2 embryo questions and one was Meckel's and another one was something else straightforward. You don't want to spend too much time on a topic that's not tested heavily

IMO you should only focus on UW, FA, and Goljan (yes for Path). That triad has worked for many people. If you are weak in specific areas then you need to add sources as needed for quick review (not reading in full). I used HY Neuro and HY Molec and Bio. I felt comfortable with Physio so I did not even touch BRS Physio - a lot of people say that it's a must but I disagree.

I personally think the Biochem and Embryo sections were good enough in FA 2010 and I wouldn't use the HY books for those unless you are really struggling with them especially not embryo since it's only a few questions. I only got 2 embryo questions and one was Meckel's and another one was something else straightforward. You don't want to spend too much time on a topic that's not tested heavily

Thank you for the advice! :thumbup:

It is much more manageable I think to have a focus with those 3-4 sources (everyone seems to agree on UW, First Aid, Goljan and alot of people also BRS Phys). I will look at other sources if needed.

I guess for Biochem, Embryo etc I will use the BRS or HY books during the courses but not for actual Step 1 studying (unless I need to find something explained in one of them). I think their questions are good prep for some of our exams!