Is First Aid enough for Micro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carn311

Dead tired.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im going traditional with my study sources: FA + BRS Phys + RR Path.

As it is, my plan is to hardcore memorize FA then BRS phys and RR path. CMMRS and lippincott pharm will be used as a references.

Should I memorize CMMRS or another (hopefully higher yield) book for micro? Or is FA enough?

Members don't see this ad.

It is close.... but the Micro Made Simple gave me some extra details to add into FA that seemed to have helped.

As it is, my plan is to hardcore memorize FA then BRS phys and RR path. CMMRS and lippincott pharm will be used as a references.

Should I memorize CMMRS or another (hopefully higher yield) book for micro? Or is FA enough?

I have CMMRS. Right now I'm just adding tidbits about bugs from the CMMRS charts...But I question whether those tidbits are necessary...It's really slowing me down and CMMRS is very detailed. I'm starting to think (or hope) FA is enough for Micro...

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied only FA and annotated extra information from questions in UWorld(such as more in-depth explanation about hemorrhagic vs. watery diarrhea). I'm sure CMMRS had all this info but when I flipped through it, there seemed to be also a bunch of stuff that I had to filter out. I ended up deciding it wasn't worth the time to go through CMMRS.

But to answer your question, FA is sufficient if you just want to pass. If you want to kick ass, you'll need to supplement it with something else. Also, I recommend finding a source that has good micro images. There were a handful of micro questions on my exam that had images which were probably helpful to answering them. I say probably helpful because I was stumped by the stems and had to guess the answers.

Definitely not!!!! See if you can get your hands on the Kaplan lecture notes for micro, it’s think so if your running out of time just use the quick notes. I would also recommend Kaplan lecture notes for pharm and biochem. These are the only step 1 materials from Kaplan I would recommend, and in fact they are pretty good.

Definitely not!!!! See if you can get your hands on the Kaplan lecture notes for micro, it’s think so if your running out of time just use the quick notes. I would also recommend Kaplan lecture notes for pharm and biochem. These are the only step 1 materials from Kaplan I would recommend, and in fact they are pretty good.

Are the kaplan microbio lectures and black books equivalent?

FA + tables in RR path should be sufficient. There are a ton of images in RR path and most of the chapters have a table or two dedicated to common bacteriology along with a couple of HY notes in the margins