Medical Is growing up lower-middle/middle class with divorced parents "unique" enough for a diversity essay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been wondering this for a while since I keep seeing such crazy statistics about how many med students come from money. My parents divorced when I was ~5 and agreed on no child support despite my dad only having us on weekends. She always worked multiple jobs and money was usually pretty tight (we qualified for free school lunch but I still always had the necessities and things weren't so dire that I couldn't go on field trips etc.) Based on the stats about current med students I feel like this should offer me a different perspective on financial barriers to care and an understanding of working-class people, but it also feels really weird to consider it for a diversity essay since 99% of the people I know grew up very similarly.

I also feel like I have a slightly more unique situation in that my mom worked 2-3 jobs at a time to make ends meet but my dad remarried and together he and my step-mom made enough to live much more comfortably (buying a gallon of chocolate milk alongside regular milk each shopping trip, able to go on vacations once a year, etc.) so I simultaneously lived middle-class and what I consider more upper-middle class (although I tried not to ask my dad for money because of... family politics? Idk the right term to use)

Thanks in advance!!

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this would work for prompts that ask you about adversities you have had to endure when growing up. It can be used to discuss how your perspectives would contribute to the diversity of the learning community you wish to join. In other words, this experience is inspirational.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.