Is IR the most competitive residency now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, it's the most competitive. I hypothesized about this last year. Let me add another observation: I've met numerous surgical and medicine attendings who've said, "I think IR would've been the perfect fit for me, had I known it existed." Conversely, I haven't met a single IR who has said, "I wish I'd done something else." IR docs seem quite happy about their specialty choice, even with demanding hours. Whether this is because of the work itself, or the "fallback" of doing diagnostic reads (I don't think this is likely), IR seems to be quite a rewarding speciality.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it's the most competitive. I hypothesized about this last year. Let me add another observation: I've met numerous surgical and medicine attendings who've said, "I think IR would've been the perfect fit for me, had I known it existed." Conversely, I haven't met a single IR who has said, "I wish I'd done something else." IR docs seem quite happy about their specialty choice, even with demanding hours. Whether this is because of the work itself, or the "fallback" of doing diagnostic reads (I don't think this is likely), IR seems to be quite a rewarding speciality.

Wish I’ve done surgery. There.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
General surgery? Or any surgery?

Gen surg or vascular surgery. Surgeons have a valuable name brand and automatic referal base. They automatically own their patients. IR has to fight for it.

Though lately I been more and more glad that I’ve done IR. Ironically, if one is into thewhole “100% clinical IR/extreme PAD” thing, vascular surgery would be a much easier route. There is no dispute, however, that most IR guys have a better life than surgeons because IR/DR dual training allow IRs to slow down when they get older while owning your patient becomes more abd more annoying for the older surgeon.

Regardless, if I wasn’t so deep in the IR game I would have switched to surgery.

Reactions: 1 user
Gen surg or vascular surgery. Surgeons have a valuable name brand and automatic referal base. They automatically own their patients. IR has to fight for it.

Though lately I been more and more glad that I’ve done IR. Ironically, if one is into thewhole “100% clinical IR/extreme PAD” thing, vascular surgery would be a much easier route. There is no dispute, however, that most IR guys have a better life than surgeons because IR/DR dual training allow IRs to slow down when they get older while owning your patient becomes more abd more annoying for the older surgeon.

Regardless, if I wasn’t so deep in the IR game I would have switched to surgery.

How easy is it to switch? I've matched into surgery prelim and then an IR residency. Is it possible to switch to surgery if I want to?

How easy is it to switch? I've matched into surgery prelim and then an IR residency. Is it possible to switch to surgery if I want to?

Depends. Your best bet is to live out your surg prelim and talk to your surgery PD if you are sure about switching.

But then again, you’ll make less money working more as a surgeon as of right now if you switch.