Is is true?

Started by DrAwsome
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrAwsome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not interested in radiology, but I've had this conversation with a friend applying to radiology and wanted to get some feedback from those of you who are actually going into radiology. She believes she has a higher chance of matching into radiology because she is a woman, and there are such few women in radiology. I have mentioned that I don't think being a woman is really going to help her with her credentials. Is she right though? I have never heard of being more competitive because of being a woman in a field like this. Thoughts?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your friend is right. Being female will help net interviews. What it won't do, however, is make-up for an otherwise abysmal application.
 
Your friend is right. Being female will help net interviews. What it won't do, however, is make-up for an otherwise abysmal application.

That I can't comment on, since I don't know specifics on the credentials. I'm not sure why there would be a question of an "abysmal application" though, just because she's female? There are a lot of well qualified women in med school.
 
That I can't comment on, since I don't know specifics on the credentials. I'm not sure why there would be a question of an "abysmal application" though, just because she's female? There are a lot of well qualified women in med school.


You read too much into my post. Yes, there are people who apply to fields with less than stellar applications. My comment was meant as "sure it'll help, but it cannot overcome other shortcomings of an application, if present." In no way was I trying to imply that an entire gender fits this category. In fact, I have a few female friends in several of so-called top rads programs, and they were all stellar applicants at the time.
 
I'm not interested in radiology, but I've had this conversation with a friend applying to radiology and wanted to get some feedback from those of you who are actually going into radiology. She believes she has a higher chance of matching into radiology because she is a woman, and there are such few women in radiology. I have mentioned that I don't think being a woman is really going to help her with her credentials. Is she right though? I have never heard of being more competitive because of being a woman in a field like this. Thoughts?

yes. especially if attractive. same for derm.
 
Derm: probably helps to be anything other than a white girl or asian guy, which seems to be the Derm modus operandi
Ortho: probably helps to be a guy because of unspoken "boy's club" bias but certain programs actively recruit women to combat said bias. This is true, to a lesser extent, in Neurosurgery
Rads: definitely helps to be a girl
 
Derm: probably helps to be anything other than a white girl or asian guy, which seems to be the Derm modus operandi
Ortho: probably helps to be a guy because of unspoken "boy's club" bias but certain programs actively recruit women to combat said bias. This is true, to a lesser extent, in Neurosurgery
Rads: definitely helps to be a girl

I think in urology/ortho it really helps to be a girl. Last year two girls from our program who didn't have AOA and had good but not amazing step 1 and casual research (~230-240) matched at UCSF urology and HSS ortho...
 
Aren't derm residents like 60+% women now? I'm not sure being a girl helps in derm, ob, or peds where females are the majority.

derm chicks are all hot... most of the ones i have met are pretty smart too. all chosen by the old men, right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interesting. Say I get my penis removed... What is the best way to let programs know I am now a female? Email? Phone call (with my new high pitched voice)?