• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Is it a red flag if you don't send in all your research letters?

Arodramaticity

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2018
  1. Pre-Medical
I have multiple research experiences in different labs, but one in particular was a lab I was in early on in my undergrad career and it was not that meaningful since I wasn't very independent. I also did not get to know the PI very well since it was a huge lab, so I'm afraid this letter will be very lukewarm. Though, I did collect enough data during my time in the lab that I became second author to a publication.

Some schools are very clear and specifically request for letters from every research mentor you've had, whereas other schools don't specify. Is it always a red flag to not include letters from all your research letters?

I've heard a lot of mixed responses to this question, so I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this.

p01t43

Apr 16, 2020
  1. MD/PhD Student
I had a very similar experience, first lab was huge and I never even met the PI. Just my personal experience but it was fine that I didn't get a letter from the mentor, explained it to the schools that asked about it and I think I wrote about it as a stepping stone/first experience in research. Everyone understood but again, just my personal experience. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users

cellsignaling

May 10, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
i didn't include a letter from my first PI, but i got a letter from my post-doc mentor in the lab instead. is it possible for you to reach out to someone who could write a stronger letter from that experience? if not, i think it is fine anyway! i have heard of a lot of people who didn't include letters from their first research experience and are at top MSTPs now.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Seihai

The dog is always the real hero.
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
I didn't have a letter from my first research experience for a variety of reasons (not really related to the quality of the letter), and I like to think I made out well in my application cycle.

hellothere69420

Sep 19, 2019
  1. MD/PhD Student
I only had a missing letter come up in an interview once, and that was because the PI was in the institution I was interviewing at! I was honest and said that it wasn't a particularly big research experience and I still got in so... *Shrug*

Arodramaticity

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2018
  1. Pre-Medical
This is comforting! Thank you everyone for your insight.

Just out of curiosity: for these labs that you didn't get a letter from, did you talk about them in your research experience essay or mention them in your work/activities section? I wonder if it raises eyebrows when you consider it significant enough to talk about it in your app, but not significant enough to request a letter from the PI.

cellsignaling

May 10, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
i did mention it in my application, but downplayed it a lot. it was in work and activities and i said i mostly did small tasks in the lab like lab management or certain protocols, but not much big picture experiments. i framed it as a learning experience in what lab culture is like (what the structure of lab is, what lab meetings are like, how to learn new techniques, etc). in my significant research essay, i just wrote 3-4 sentences on that experience, saying it just motivated me to start exploring my field of interest more in-depth and supplemented my course work.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.