is it against the rules to ask about scramble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IFNgamma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it against the NMRP rules to contact programs and express interest in potentially scrambling for prelim spots?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it against the NMRP rules to contact programs and express interest in potentially scrambling for prelim spots?

I think so...I believe you have to wait until the list is officially out.

Dear program director,

You are on my list of top 20 sh*ty programs what won't fill. I too have crappy prospects and as such I feel compelled to contact you now and express my interest in scrambling into your program. I'm sure you realize that your program sucks and are very worried about what kinda also-rans you'll pick up in the scramble, let me assure you, if you take me you'll have the most pro-active also-ran out there. Take advantage of this free time before the match to take a look at my letters and board scores since you probably didn't see them before your secretary weeded my app out for an interview. Thanks a lot! And I hope the match goes as poorly for you as it probably will form me.

INFgamma

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're looking for a program that won't match, check out Carilion in Roanoke. The program has fallen apart in the last year. Several residents have left / are leaving as the program has lost all the vascular surgeons, are looking for a new program director (the 4th in 4 years), ABSITE and board pass rates are low, and will most likely be put on probation when the institutional review takes place next year due to massive 80 hours violations. On the bright side, if your looking for a program with open spots and likely won't match all the categorical spots, check it out.

Dear program director,

You are on my list of top 20 sh*ty programs what won't fill. I too have crappy prospects and as such I feel compelled to contact you now and express my interest in scrambling into your program. I'm sure you realize that your program sucks and are very worried about what kinda also-rans you'll pick up in the scramble, let me assure you, if you take me you'll have the most pro-active also-ran out there. Take advantage of this free time before the match to take a look at my letters and board scores since you probably didn't see them before your secretary weeded my app out for an interview. Thanks a lot! And I hope the match goes as poorly for you as it probably will form me.

INFgamma

:laugh: Excellent... my first laugh of the day

Dear program director,

INFgamma

hey dynx, thanks for encourgement buddy and thanks for being helpful too.

unlike you, I'm a FMG and not matching is real possibility simply because of that fact no matter how stellar my qualifications are. So I'd appreciate it if you showed some sensitivity rather than being a big joker.

And no, I did not find that funny at all.

So I'd appreciate it if you showed some sensitivity rather than being a big joker.

And no, I did not find that funny at all.

Yeah, dynxth. Let'th try to be more thenthitive to our friendth here on ETH-DEE-ENN. A thenth of humor ith a liability in thith bithnith.

hey IFNgamma, I too belong in the FMG group and I share in your worries. But looking back on how many interviews you received (>15), I think you won't have trouble matching as long as you ranked more than 15, even with the IMG status. You must have had some pretty good qualifications to receive that many interviews, and that won't be overlooked by EVERY program.

The rules only directly address communication about unfilled positions between the time of notification on Monday and the beginning of the scramble period on Tuesday. It says nothing about the period of time between ROL submission and notification of unmatched status.

I probably wouldn't risk it if I were in your shoes, since there will very likely be a large number of unfilled prelim positions.

For next year's match participants, the better thing to do, if you anticipate the possibility of not matching, would be to apply for a number of prelim positions and rank those at the bottom of your list. That way you can get the prelim spot that best suits your goals while avoiding the scramble entirely. It's a poor strategy for anyone who could expect to scramble successfully into an unfilled categorical position. However, as surgery gets more competitive, with fewer categorical spots to scramble into, this strategy becomes more effective.

IFNgamma,

good luck with the match. How many programs did you apply to? Also had you already completed Step 2 when you got your interviews?

thanks

surgdog:

I thought carillion was actually a good program. Guess not. I didn't interview there although I was offered one.

Blackdiamond:

Thanks for the encouragment. I think I have an idea of who you are :) How did u know it was me?

Purplefish: I applied to 140 programs, got 27 interviews but only went to 16 for various reasons and yes, I had step 2 completed.

Just got this in a form email from the NRMP.

"Under the Match Participation Agreement signed by all applicants, it is a Match violation to begin contacting programs prior to noon on Tuesday of Match Week, March 13th, when the "Scramble" begins. If the NRMP receives evidence that an applicant has violated this rule, an investigation will be initiated and sanctions may be applied as outlined in the NRMP's Violations Policy"