Is it better

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starayamoskva

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
to do residency where you went to med school or to branch out and get a different perspective by going somewhere else???

Thanks,
staraya

Members don't see this ad.

The answer probably is whatever suites your needs the best. That being said, the advice I have heard more than once is that all things being equal it is better to go somewhere else and get the fresh perspective.

However, obviously you wouldn't want to give up anything in quality of training.

j

Unless you want a diverse resume or want to upgrade program names during residency for academic sake, it really doesn't make a difference.

The advantages of staying in one place are many. No move, familiar people and surroundings, and familiar hospital system (computers, charting, records, etc.)

In the end I wouldn't change just for the sake of change unless you just want to go somewhere else.

general consensus from the residents and attendings i've talked to seems to be: do residency where you want to practice.

if you want to live in the city where you went to med school, then by all means stay for residency. if you want to live somewhere else as an attending, try to do your residency there.