Is it common for tuition to jump way up 3rd/4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

One of the schools I am considering gave us a spreadsheet with the tuition/budget/total loan allottment etc for each of the 4 years. The tuition for years 1 and 2 is $20K, but for years 3 and 4 it jumps to $27K. Now, I know that tuition generally increases each year, but this is different I think in that they fix the 3/4 years at 7K higher.

I'm wondering if this is normal? All I've gotten at the other schools is a year one tuition so I wasn't sure.

Thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You are in school for the whole year for years 3 and 4. Hence the jump. You are also given a bigger budget because you cannot work to earn extra cash.

I did think that and so it made sense that the allotment for rent, food, whatever would go up but seemed odd that just flat out tuition would too, but no?

Members don't see this ad :)
crys20 said:
I did think that and so it made sense that the allotment for rent, food, whatever would go up but seemed odd that just flat out tuition would too, but no?

You will find that no matter what school, whether it is law school, dental school, or even undergrad, the tuition is always higher for the last 2 years (junior & senior). Why? Because they know you are less likely to quit. They are just raping you for every last penny.

crys20 said:

It makes perfect sense that your tuition would go up, as well as your budget for food, etc. Your first year two years, they are not charging you tuition for the summer. Your last two years, they are because you are in clincial rotations during the summers after your second and third years. Our tuition actually jumps second and third years, and then goes back down fourth year, because we have to pay tuition all four quarters 2nd and 3rd years.

fun8stuff said:
You will find that no matter what school, whether it is law school, dental school, or even undergrad, the tuition is always higher for the last 2 years (junior & senior). Why? Because they know you are less likely to quit. They are just raping you for every last penny.

I am not familiar with either law schools or undergraduate schools charing more for specific years of your education. Tuition costs do rise, but this is normally applied universally across the school.

If anything tuition should be less in your 3rd and 4th years. With the amount of scut you do you at least deserve to be treated as well as a minimum-wage earner if you ask me (and maybe get some of that deducted from tuition)