Is it difficult to get a scribe position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihave Nonamè

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied several months ago to ScribeAmerica. I was sent the pre-interview screening form to fill out some time ago. Nothing came of it.

I did have several years of work experience -serving in a restaurant and working at a gym- for which I described skill in working under pressure in a fast-paced environment. I also indicated that I had completed a medical terminology course and Anatomy&Physio classes/labs. I thought my chances should have been better than the average young applicant with little in the way of paid work experience.

My guess is that I didn't indicate I could work enough hours. I indicated Fri (night), Sat, Sun availability only, because most other extracurriculars are only available during the week... I will say that there are a lot of a pre-meds at my large University so it could also just be that there are not enough positions to fill. Is it typically so difficult to get this experience? Did my indicated availability screw me over?

Members don't see this ad.

It is not hard to attain a position but if you're availability is very low at the beginning it decreases your odds of landing a position. Not only that, but the pandemic has created a whole different set of issues for those types of positions.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to ScribeAmerica in March, interviewed, but then got waitlisted due to my later preferred start date (in summer). By the time summer came, there was no longer a position available due to "COVID restructuring [their] teams." Since they said the next open position would be September at the earliest, I just applied to another scribing job.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied several months ago to ScribeAmerica. I was sent the pre-interview screening form to fill out some time ago. Nothing came of it.

I did have several years of work experience -serving in a restaurant and working at a gym- for which I described skill in working under pressure in a fast-paced environment. I also indicated that I had completed a medical terminology course and Anatomy&Physio classes/labs. I thought my chances should have been better than the average young applicant with little in the way of paid work experience.

My guess is that I didn't indicate I could work enough hours. I indicated Fri (night), Sat, Sun availability only, because most other extracurriculars are only available during the week... I will say that there are a lot of a pre-meds at my large University so it could also just be that there are not enough positions to fill. Is it typically so difficult to get this experience? Did my indicated availability screw me over?
Most definitely. Think about it this way, if you were the chief scribe aka scheduler, would you want someone who has an open or limited schedule? Adding you would have made their job that much more difficult so.... hate to say this but you made for an easy hard pass. If I were you I’d apply again but this time say you have no schedule limitations and then once you’re in, only then tell them you’re willing to work so and so hours.

Depends on your area. Right now demand has picked up very recently (in my area at least and in part due to the addition of COVID-19 IgG testing) but overall many sites cut contracts and such because of the low patient volume.