Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Is it easier to get in if offered interview w/o sending sec. ap????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by patient, Apr 9, 2002.

1. patient

patient Member
    10+ Year Member

Is it easier to get into a school if you are offered an interview without sending a sec. app?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i got into pitt after being interviewed sans secondary.

4. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i have only heard of pitt and vanderbilt offering interviews w/o a secondary, but i have not heard about acceptances post interview. i have not heard rejections either, i just didn't find out what happened to the guy.

5. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was offered an interview along with my secondary at Temple in late August. I attended the interview prior to completing my secondary and sent the form in a week or two after my interview. I was offered an acceptance four weeks later.

6. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I received an interview at UMich w/o sending a secondary and am still sitting pretty on the waitlist...think I was thinking the same thing you were going into the interview "Wow, they must really want me, sending me an interview w/o secondary." I was actually pretty crushed when I got waitlisted after that! Just beware...lesson learned, don't ever get cocky in this process, there's no worse feeling than having your bubble burst!

7. Dr. Corday

Dr. Corday Member
    7+ Year Member

It really depends on the school. For some, like vandy, it is the norm. so doesn't mean that they have liked you too much :D I got an interview request there way before sending my secondary and eventually got waitlisted.

8. dr. momo

dr. momo Member
    7+ Year Member

vanderbilt and umich actually say that they give interviews on the basis of the amcas application. (vanderbilt mentions it in the secondary, and u mich requests that you make sure you sent in the secondary on the interview invitation.)

i kind of felt that having the interview pre-secondary was strange, because you really have no idea what they think of your secondary until the final review...which could explain the unexpected results. :)

9. Avi

Avi Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Like many, I got an interview offer from pitt pre-secondary. I decided to sit on the offer and on the secondary (until the deadline). I interviewed in early Feb and now I'm waitlisted.

10. vinsanity

vinsanity Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't really know if it's easier but I recieved an interview without a sec. with Temple and got in. I guess it is a good chance they will accept you. Make sure you perform good in their interview.

11. djipopo

djipopo SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was offered an interview pre-secondary at howard, however, most of the people that i interviewed with hadn't sent in their secondary either. i was admitted.

12. deva

deva Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I had never heard of schools offering interviews pre-secondary. What is the point of the secondary in this case? Also, did you still have to complete the secondary?

13. patient

patient Member
    10+ Year Member

serendipity475.

Did you accept the offer.
    Also please tell me more for I have the same issue with that school. My interview is next week and I am scared. I know nothing about it and was not even intending to apply until I saw the secondary

14. SarahL

SarahL Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I received a request for an interview at Pitt without a secondary, interviewed there in late February, and got in. The staff there told me that they send out about 150 letters each year requesting interviews without a secondary. From what I've read on this forum, it's based primarily on numbers, but they do look at the rest of the AMCAS app as well. I thought my faculty interview went pretty poorly, so I was pleasantly surprised a few weeks later when I got in.

15. djipopo

djipopo SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    patient,

yes, i did accept and am 80% sure that i will be attending howard next fall. i also PM'd you.