Is it enough to just read study guides (BR) and do practice test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariambaby3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I am self-studying for the MCATs. Is it enough to just read over the study guides, such as Berkley Prep, and do the passages in them and then do some practice tests under timed conditions?

Do I need to look over my class notes or anything like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so I am self-studying for the MCATs. Is it enough to just read over the study guides, such as Berkley Prep, and do the passages in them and then do some practice tests under timed conditions?

Using TBR (The Berkeley Review)'s materials may be good enough. Read a few chapters, and you'll figure out whether you need to give yourself a refresher. The AAMC released a list of topics, so hunt that down on the website and figure out where your weak spots are with tons of practice. You should be fine. Towards the mid/end of your prep, start taking full-length exams. Those will be a little intense and you'll feel drained, but in my opinion, TBR will be your best preparation guides for questions. You may be wasting time going back through your notes, but it's kinda up to you. You won't need to know everything in as much detail as you did in your undergrad.

I agree with MDminded...BR has some solid prep materials with their books & tests so you should stick to that. The thing is MCAT is becoming so conceptual with almost little to no calculation (at least in my version) & BR helps with that a lot (better than some other prep companies but I'm biased ;) ) I remember writing a crapload of equations down during the tutorial session & not really using them...