Is it even possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefuloptimistic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I've been lurking this forum for a few days. Medical school has been my dream since I was 8 years old. I developed my passion, when I was young. I was born early and spent many years in and out of hospitals. I have a passion for pediatric, but I have a general interest in most areas of medicine. Currently, I am hoping to receive advice and thoughts on if Medical school could even be a possibility for me. Through out my school life, I was a straight A student, despite having to miss months of school as a child. I never needed to study.
Towards the end of my high school years, my mom remarried and started partying while leaving me to care for my baby brothers(youngest was 2 at the time). I had to leave high school and enter an extension program. I started college at a community college, but I was having trouble learning to study and cope with all the things happening in my life. I ended that semester with "B's" and "C's". I decided there was no way I'd be able to attend medical school because, there wasn't a chance that I was smart enough. I decided to continue and Persue a different path. I ended up pregnant and placed on bed rest by 12 weeks. When I spoke with the school, they would not allow me to drop my classes (even with a doctors note) which resulted in 4 "F's" on my gpa.

My gpa is a 2.2 , but none of the courses are prerequisites for medical school. ( English 1&2, psychology 1&2, and sociology I have A's in from this past year). If I enter a four year university this fall and take all of the prerequisites and score "A" in my prerequisites, is it possible for my gpa to reach a high enough point for me to apply? I have already been working on EC's.. I know it will be a lot of work.

Members don't see this ad.

How many credits do you have as of right now?

It's totally possible to bring your gpa up substantially. Just focus on doing better and aiming for mostly A's from here on out.

Good luck!

I think that it is definitely possible, especially with such a unique story. That is seriously ridiculous that your CC gave you F's on your transcript even with a doctor's note.

If you really want this, it's doable. Do your best in your classes at a 4-year university, apply and incorporate your story into your application somehow to explain your unique situation, and collect some EC's. Definitely possible, although also definitely very hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many credits do you have as of right now?

It's totally possible to bring your gpa up substantially. Just focus on doing better and aiming for mostly A's from here on out.

Good luck!

By credits, do you mean how many hours or how many points I have?

I think that it is definitely possible, especially with such a unique story. That is seriously ridiculous that your CC gave you F's on your transcript even with a doctor's note.

If you really want this, it's doable. Do your best in your classes at a 4-year university, apply and incorporate your story into your application somehow to explain your unique situation, and collect some EC's. Definitely possible, although also definitely very hard.

Honestly, when they told me they wouldn't let me withdraw, I went into a pretty deep depression. My gpa was much lower (one point something) but, this semester I brought it up by retaking some of the classes they wouldn't let me withdraw from and adding a few electives. I don't want to give up at all, but I want to be realistic about the situation.

As for the GPA, you can look up GPA calculators to see what you're GPA be after x amount of courses. If it's not as high as you'd like, theres light at the end of the tunnel: getting into med school is not ALL about grades and GPA. Yes, they want to know you're academically adequate, but I know many people who have started from a difficult position but their hardwork and drive is evident either through an upward trend or through their actions.

And they respect that.

In 2015 I hosted a St. Jude fundraiser that I put together and ran on my own. I was the leader of a youth group in 2015 as well(my attempt at getting my little brothers interested in things) . Could either of these be listed on my future application? I also, have hospital volunteer hours.

As for the GPA, you can look up GPA calculators to see what you're GPA be after x amount of courses. If it's not as high as you'd like, theres light at the end of the tunnel: getting into med school is not ALL about grades and GPA. Yes, they want to know you're academically adequate, but I know many people who have started from a difficult position but their hardwork and drive is evident either through an upward trend or through their actions.

And they respect that.

Thank you, it's great to hear that I may still stand a chance.

Certainly possible, but there are many barriers that you will need to get through. Your GPA is less of an issue because of the distribution of classes and timing of grades, etc.

First and foremost, you need to figure out if you can handle the classes. I would consider yourself to have zero data points right now. Nobody, yourself included, know if you will be able to handle the pre-reqs. If those go well over the course of 4+ semesters, with adequate prep, the MCAT should follow. If you can do that, I would be cautiously optimistic about your admissions prospects. Your cGPA will always be very low because of the realities of mathematics, but if you were to lets say have a 3.8 sGPA coupled with even a 2.9 cGPA, you will get some solid looks. If people understand and appreciate what lead to the abysmal cGPA and believe that you are a different applicant/person than you were when you got those other grades, I think you stand a reasonable shot at getting into medical school.

Now, it is vitally important that you re-read the first several sentences I wrote. You may or may not struggle with those pre-reqs. A reminder, many if not most people struggle with the pre-reqs and most of them do not have the rocky academic history that you do.

Reactions: 3 users
Certainly possible, but there are many barriers that you will need to get through. Your GPA is less of an issue because of the distribution of classes and timing of grades, etc.

First and foremost, you need to figure out if you can handle the classes. I would consider yourself to have zero data points right now. Nobody, yourself included, know if you will be able to handle the pre-reqs. If those go well over the course of 4+ semesters, with adequate prep, the MCAT should follow. If you can do that, I would be cautiously optimistic about your admissions prospects. Your cGPA will always be very low because of the realities of mathematics, but if you were to lets say have a 3.8 sGPA coupled with even a 2.9 cGPA, you will get some solid looks. If people understand and appreciate what lead to the abysmal cGPA and believe that you are a different applicant/person than you were when you got those other grades, I think you stand a reasonable shot at getting into medical school.

Now, it is vitally important that you re-read the first several sentences I wrote. You may or may not struggle with those pre-reqs. A reminder, many if not most people struggle with the pre-reqs and most of them do not have the rocky academic history that you do.

I was thinking, I will try my best for a couple semesters and if it's going well then I will continue. If I'm not being successful in those semesters, I will reconsider and choose a different path. If I can do it, I didn't want to be held back by the past. If you were in my position, would you retake all of the classes that are less than an "A" (I know they average) or would you continue with all new courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your SAT score (this gives us an idea of how smart you are/how well you've done on standardized tests), what state are you from, and what is your race?

What is your SAT score (this gives us an idea of how smart you are/how well you've done on standardized tests), what state are you from, and what is your race?

None of this is pertinent at this moment in time.

OP Mimelim gave some fantastic advice. Goodluck

Reactions: 1 users

I've actually never taken the SAT. It wasn't needed for anything that I've taken part in up to this point. I'm from Mississippi (Technically , only 10 minutes from Memphis. Some schools consider me a Tennessee resident) I am Caucasian.

It's certainly not impossible but your path will not be easy. To do a rough estimation, we can assume that your undergrad will be 120 credits. ((40*2.2)+(120*4.0))/160 = 3.55, however that would mean that you aced your undergrad degree. Feel free to play around with the number as you wish. However, the number isn't everything. You have an amazing life story, and a good upward trend would be able to explain away your previous failures. With a 3.7 which is certainly doable, I believe you would have chances at some DO schools, assuming your MCAT score is within range. So, the point is that, yes it's doable, but you would need to do absolutely amazing in your undergraduate degree.

It's certainly not impossible but your path will not be easy. To do a rough estimation, we can assume that your undergrad will be 120 credits. ((40*2.2)+(120*4.0))/160 = 3.55, however that would mean that you aced your undergrad degree. Feel free to play around with the number as you wish. However, the number isn't everything. You have an amazing life story, and a good upward trend would be able to explain away your previous failures. With a 3.7 which is certainly doable, I believe you would have chances at some DO schools, assuming your MCAT score is within range. So, the point is that, yes it's doable, but you would need to do absolutely amazing in your undergraduate degree.

Thank you very much for your response. A lot of things have changed recently and I am in a much better position now, than I was then. Hopefully, I am in a place where I am able to do what I need to do in order to succeed in these classes. I don't expect it to be easy. I expect many hours of studying and prepping (I also expect tears and frustration). I'm ready to make this a reality for my daughter and I. There's no doubt in my mind, that I would've been successful from the start, under different circumstances

Thank you very much for your response. A lot of things have changed recently and I am in a much better position now, than I was then. Hopefully, I am in a place where I am able to do what I need to do in order to succeed in these classes. I don't expect it to be easy. I expect many hours of studying and prepping (I also expect tears and frustration). I'm ready to make this a reality for my daughter and I. There's no doubt in my mind, that I would've been successful from the start, under different circumstances
Just be aware of the realities of this process. 8 years is a long time. If you were to do poorly first semester, I would recommend reconsidering this honestly. Also, for you to get into a 4 year school they may require you to take the SAT just so you know. Best of luck.

None of this is pertinent at this moment in time.

OP Mimelim gave some fantastic advice. Goodluck

It's extremely relevant.

When people ask these questions, they want some sense of their odds of success. Otherwise, it's a pretty silly question.

Your race, state, and previous track record of your test taking ability (SAT) are all relevant in having some sense of your future success. Even if you want to ignore the SAT (which I don't recommend), if OP gets 3.8 from this point out he/she will likely have a very different outcome if they're black and from Texas than they would if they are Asian and from California. It's worth letting OP at least be aware of these facts now so they can better determine what their next step should be.

It's extremely relevant.

When people ask these questions, they want some sense of their odds of success. Otherwise, it's a pretty silly question.

Your race, state, and previous track record of your test taking ability (SAT) are all relevant in having some sense of your future success. Even if you want to ignore the SAT (which I don't recommend), if OP gets 3.8 from this point out he/she will likely have a very different outcome if they're black and from Texas than they would if they are Asian and from California. It's worth letting OP at least be aware of these facts now so they can better determine what their next step should be.

I scored a 30 on the Act my sophomore year of high school. Throughout school I scored proficient or advanced on any standard test I've ever taken. I was given a placement test in 3rd grade and could already test on college level for English, science, and reading. Only Twelfth grade level for math. I was given a placement test in high school and was able to graduate at 16 through the state tests and extension program. I can take tests. Anyone can take tests. I have problems when it comes to studying and I've been working to approve on that. I've never had problems with Science or English. Math is my weak area. I was going through a lot previously and it made my school life hard to keep up with (taking care of 3 kids and a job on my own +school at only 15years-18years was a lot to handle.) I'm 20 and ready to try and get my life together. I can put in the time. I won't know if I'm smart enough, until I'm there. I will update with my SAT score after I take the test and my first semester at university GPA as soon as it's time. I'm sorry I don't have anymore information to provide. Edit* sorry about my mistakes, currently rushing to type.

I was thinking, I will try my best for a couple semesters and if it's going well then I will continue. If I'm not being successful in those semesters, I will reconsider and choose a different path. If I can do it, I didn't want to be held back by the past. If you were in my position, would you retake all of the classes that are less than an "A" (I know they average) or would you continue with all new courses?

Definitely would follow mimelim's advice for sure. Also retaking grades may be helpful but all grades are factored into GPA for medical school admissions. I don't think it's worth it. Start out fresh in new semester, take a light courseload to see if you can handle it and try to do well and get a 4.0 in a semester. If you can, that's great, keep working hard, build/refine study habits etc. and you'll have a solid upward trend that medical schools love.

Low GPA will be there because of all grades factored in. I have a friend who was in a similar situation with you and she managed to get her life around, busted her ass off and excelled in academics (even got a 39 MCAT), applied to many schools, and is now currently in a Top 20 despite having a 3.0 cGPA. Don't let your past performance hinder you. You can succeed and do well if you are sincerely passionate about medicine. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely would follow mimelim's advice for sure. Also retaking grades may be helpful but all grades are factored into GPA for medical school admissions. I don't think it's worth it. Start out fresh in new semester, take a light courseload to see if you can handle it and try to do well and get a 4.0 in a semester. If you can, that's great, keep working hard, build/refine study habits etc. and you'll have a solid upward trend that medical schools love.

Low GPA will be there because of all grades factored in. I have a friend who was in a similar situation with you and she managed to get her life around, busted her ass off and excelled in academics (even got a 39 MCAT), applied to many schools, and is now currently in a Top 20 despite having a 3.0 cGPA. Don't let your past performance hinder you. You can succeed and do well if you are sincerely passionate about medicine. Good luck!

Thank you for the encouragement! Congratulations to her!

It's extremely relevant.

No it's not. Not at this time. SAT tells us nothing unless OP destroyed it or bombed it completely; anything in between and we can't determine anything.

The state and URM status can become relevant later on, but not right now. Mimelim gave great advice, the only thing that is relevant to the OP right now is finding out if they can handle the classes and do well from here on out. When OP gets that 3.8+ over 4+ semesters then that stuff becomes relevant, as does the MCAT. Right now there is no point in worrying about that stuff.

You got this OP, just take it one step at a time. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

I scored a 30 on the Act my sophomore year of high school. Throughout school I scored proficient or advanced on any standard test I've ever taken. I was given a placement test in 3rd grade and could already test on college level for English, science, and reading. Only Twelfth grade level for math. I was given a placement test in high school and was able to graduate at 16 through the state tests and extension program. I can take tests. Anyone can take tests. I have problems when it comes to studying and I've been working to approve on that. I've never had problems with Science or English. Math is my weak area. I was going through a lot previously and it made my school life hard to keep up with (taking care of 3 kids and a job on my own +school at only 15years-18years was a lot to handle.) I'm 20 and ready to try and get my life together. I can put in the time. I won't know if I'm smart enough, until I'm there. I will update with my SAT score after I take the test and my first semester at university GPA as soon as it's time. I'm sorry I don't have anymore information to provide. Edit* sorry about my mistakes, currently rushing to type.

I'm seeing SAT of 30 corresponding of a 1320-ish SAT (top 10-15%), which is pretty good, especially if you had a lot of other things going on.

I think Mississippi is a very good state to be from, which should be helpful if you are a resident there. You'll have to confirm this with someone else or look it up, but if I recall correctly it was a state school that gave a huge preference to (or maybe even only accepted) in-state applicants. If so, that'll be a huge help for you later on, especially since being white is much worse than being black or Hispanic when it comes to being admitted (but most people don't get the boost of being a URM, or under represented minority). Also you should look into osteopathic schools. They are much easier to get into than allopathic schools and if you're a student who is OK with this route then it may greatly increase your chances of acceptance.

The MCAT is more math intensive than it should be IMO, so just be aware of that. Physics and chemistry require a lot of quick math (not that it's particularly hard) even if it's not really tested once you're in medical school. It's good that you're able to analyzing your weaknesses now as that will make it easier for you to improve and do better later.

I definitely think you have a chance, especially if you come from a generous state (which I think you do) and are willing to go the osteopathic route if you need to. Just be smart about it, make sure you're able to devote the time necessary to it, and try to keep being objective with yourself (which it looks like you have been doing). Best of luck!

No it's not. Not at this time. SAT tells us nothing unless OP destroyed it or bombed it completely; anything in between and we can't determine anything.

Right, which is why it's worth asking, and why certain post-bacc programs ask this exact question.

The MCAT is more math intensive than it should be

Yeah no...

I'm seeing SAT of 30 corresponding of a 1320-ish SAT (top 10-15%), which is pretty good, especially if you had a lot of other things going on.

I think Mississippi is a very good state to be from, which should be helpful if you are a resident there. You'll have to confirm this with someone else or look it up, but if I recall correctly it was a state school that gave a huge preference to (or maybe even only accepted) in-state applicants. If so, that'll be a huge help for you later on, especially since being white is much worse than being black or Hispanic when it comes to being admitted (but most people don't get the boost of being a URM, or under represented minority). Also you should look into osteopathic schools. They are much easier to get into than allopathic schools and if you're a student who is OK with this route then it may greatly increase your chances of acceptance.

The MCAT is more math intensive than it should be IMO, so just be aware of that. Physics and chemistry require a lot of quick math (not that it's particularly hard) even if it's not really tested once you're in medical school. It's good that you're able to analyzing your weaknesses now as that will make it easier for you to improve and do better later.

I definitely think you have a chance, especially if you come from a generous state (which I think you do) and are willing to go the osteopathic route if you need to. Just be smart about it, make sure you're able to devote the time necessary to it, and try to keep being objective with yourself (which it looks like you have been doing). Best of luck!

Right, which is why it's worth asking, and why certain post-bacc programs ask this exact question.

Are you intentionally being obtuse? Have you applied to medical school yet? Taken the MCAT? Not only is your info wrong in certain aspects, it is also very unhelpful to the current situation at hand. OP should not be worried about any of the things you have mentioned at this time.

Reactions: 1 user
OP disregard anything about the SAT. Worry about doing well in future classes coming up ONLY!

You can worry about putting a good application together later when it comes time for you to apply.

Stop trying to use standardized test data when you clearly know nothing about it. 30 is top 5%, if the SAT provides a weird conversion table it may be intentional (on their new SAT, 800/800 math = 34/36 ACT math), and score on its own is a terrible predictor of anything. As mimelim said, under these circumstances, there are no data points.

Did you mistype? With a 3.7 (accepted MD median) and her explanation for early low grades, and high MCAT, any school would be within reach. As others pointed out, GPA will matter less than recent performance because of the circumstances.

That being said, OP, you may want to try to get rid of those Fs with a retroactive medical withdrawal, although it might be useless.

Stop trying to use standardized test data when you clearly know nothing about it. 30 is top 5%, if the SAT provides a weird conversion table it may be intentional (on their new SAT, 800/800 math = 34/36 ACT math), and score on its own is a terrible predictor of anything. As mimelim said, under these circumstances, there are no data points.

Did you mistype? With a 3.7 (accepted MD median) and her explanation for early low grades, and high MCAT, any school would be within reach. As others pointed out, GPA will matter less than recent performance because of the circumstances.

That being said, OP, you may want to try to get rid of those Fs with a retroactive medical withdrawal, although it might be useless.

I tried to withdraw at the time, but they wouldn't let me even with a doctors note. Do you think it would be worth setting up an appointment with the Dean and trying to get it fixed?

I tried to withdraw at the time, but they wouldn't let me even with a doctors note. Do you think it would be worth setting up an appointment with the Dean and trying to get it fixed?
I think it's worth a shot.

I meant with a 3.7 for the rest of undergrad not a 3.7 cumilative. With a 4.0 for the rest of undergrad, OP would be at 3.55 cumilative GPA. A more realistic GPA to consider is a 3.7 for the rest of undergrad which would put OP in range for DO schools and even MD given the insane upward trend.

If they agree to the retroactive medical withdraw for the 4 classes, would that take the hours for those classes off? Like my hours would be the the hours I have now minus the 10 hours for those classes?

I meant with a 3.7 for the rest of undergrad not a 3.7 cumilative. With a 4.0 for the rest of undergrad, OP would be at 3.55 cumilative GPA. A more realistic GPA to consider is a 3.7 for the rest of undergrad which would put OP in range for DO schools and even MD given the insane upward trend.
Ohh that makes a lot more sense. I thought you meant 120 hours of 4.0 + enough PB work to get to 3.7.