Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Is it harder/easier for nurse to get into med school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mr. Beefy Lion, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Mr. Beefy Lion

2+ Year Member

I had a friend tell me it was harder for a nurse, who just graduated to get into med school because ad coms saw it as "jumping ship". Is this true?
    If anything I would of thought the clinical experience they acquired would be beneficial.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doudline

5+ Year Member

You highlighted both sides of the coin.

It's neither "harder" or "easier". Just have a good reasoning for the change, and play on your strengths.

4. Aprilpanda

^ I agree. I would also think that clinical experience would look good or else why would they look for pre-meds to volunteer, shadow etc. Don't stress over these rumors, people always change fields and it's not looked down upon. Focus on your grades, MCAT etc. Good Luck!

5. Mr. Beefy Lion

2+ Year Member

I'm not a nursing student haha I was just curious about this topic because I definetly see both sides of the argument.

6. cherubb3

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you apply to medical school right after graduating from nursing school it looks suspicious.

7. UNMedGa

UNMedGa I’m sorry. I-I get lost in my eyes.
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It entirely depends. For nurses, they need to be able to explain in their personal statement, etc. why they decided to pursue medicine instead of ride out a career in nursing. Why did they decide that for them medicine is better than nursing? They may be wary of people who go into nursing just because they think it'll improve their medical school chances; this can indicate somewhat of a disrespect to the profession of nursing by showing that you only see it as a "stepping stone." However, those who truly find that medicine is their calling through their working with doctors and patients in a clinical environment have a better shot, plus all that clinical experience answers the question of whether or not they know the profession well enough to decide to pursue it.

8. BGMayagi

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As a nurse looking into this topic. The only other bit I can add to what is already said is that people will say that nursing majors have a lower chance of getting in statistically and that seems to be true but I believe it's largely due to the statistics showing that healthcare majors tend to have lower GPAs and MCAT scores. Do well in the prereqs and MCAT and doors will open. Of course don't neglect other ECs and do some research if your looking for some research/top heavy schools as it's the thing to do for a lot of MD schools.