Is it harder/easier for nurse to get into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mr. Beefy Lion

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a friend tell me it was harder for a nurse, who just graduated to get into med school because ad coms saw it as "jumping ship". Is this true?
If anything I would of thought the clinical experience they acquired would be beneficial.
 
You highlighted both sides of the coin.

It's neither "harder" or "easier". Just have a good reasoning for the change, and play on your strengths.
 
^ I agree. I would also think that clinical experience would look good or else why would they look for pre-meds to volunteer, shadow etc. Don't stress over these rumors, people always change fields and it's not looked down upon. Focus on your grades, MCAT etc. Good Luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^ I agree. I would also think that clinical experience would look good or else why would they look for pre-meds to volunteer, shadow etc. Don't stress over these rumors, people always change fields and it's not looked down upon. Focus on your grades, MCAT etc. Good Luck!
I'm not a nursing student haha I was just curious about this topic because I definetly see both sides of the argument.
 
If you apply to medical school right after graduating from nursing school it looks suspicious.
 
It entirely depends. For nurses, they need to be able to explain in their personal statement, etc. why they decided to pursue medicine instead of ride out a career in nursing. Why did they decide that for them medicine is better than nursing? They may be wary of people who go into nursing just because they think it'll improve their medical school chances; this can indicate somewhat of a disrespect to the profession of nursing by showing that you only see it as a "stepping stone." However, those who truly find that medicine is their calling through their working with doctors and patients in a clinical environment have a better shot, plus all that clinical experience answers the question of whether or not they know the profession well enough to decide to pursue it.
 
As a nurse looking into this topic. The only other bit I can add to what is already said is that people will say that nursing majors have a lower chance of getting in statistically and that seems to be true but I believe it's largely due to the statistics showing that healthcare majors tend to have lower GPAs and MCAT scores. Do well in the prereqs and MCAT and doors will open. Of course don't neglect other ECs and do some research if your looking for some research/top heavy schools as it's the thing to do for a lot of MD schools.