Technology Is it just me, or does this website run really slow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sed8&Intub8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, a lot of times when I use SDN it runs really really slow. I am waiting forever for a page to load, and then, it loads and everything is fine...but the next day or a few days later I have the same problem...Is it just me, or are others having this problem as well? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It took about a whole minute to start this thread after I pressed the button...

It's you. SDN is probably one of the fastest loading websites I visit besides the major portals like Google. I regularly open 30-40 tabs within 10 seconds or so as I go over the new threads in the forums I visit and they all load immediately.

This is a huge improvement over how it used to be. You should have been here in ye olden days when we had to deal with chronic table locking or when the database server would crash, ugh.

The past 6 months in particular are easily the fastest and most reliable SDN has ever been.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I guess I figured out the problem. Its my browser, but for some odd reason, its only for this website. I use Google Chrome, and its faster then any browser I have used, but sometimes not on this website. It can still be attempting to load on Chrome and I can copy paste into firefox, and boom! there it is.

So, I have no idea why this is, anyone has any ideas?

So I guess I figured out the problem. Its my browser, but for some odd reason, its only for this website. I use Google Chrome, and its faster then any browser I have used, but sometimes not on this website. It can still be attempting to load on Chrome and I can copy paste into firefox, and boom! there it is.

The current Chrome is kinda quirky and not 100% standards compliant, sacrificing compatibility for speed. Unfortunately, it sounds like you are in one of those situations. However, the next version of Chrome is just around the corner and is finally going to reach feature and compatibility parity with the other major browsers.

The current Chrome is kinda quirky and not 100% standards compliant, sacrificing compatibility for speed. Unfortunately, it sounds like you are in one of those situations. However, the next version of Chrome is just around the corner and is finally going to reach feature and compatibility parity with the other major browsers.

Chrome just came out for Mac's, is the new version coming out for macs as well?

The site is usually pretty fast, but occasionally the site just doesn't respond in which case it is just the server. Other sites work fine at that time. Good thing is that it doesn't happen much.

There's usually some late night slowdown as well, I think due to forum backups.

As far as Chrome for Mac and SDN, I don't have any issues that I didn't face with other browsers. Also, I'd be surprised to see a new version of Chrome for Mac so soon after the beta release weeks ago.

If you go to Options menu, then to "Under the Hood" then to "Proxy Settings", go to Lan Settings and uncheck the option "Automatically Detect Settings". Apparently Chrome has a problem that hangs up your browser whenever it attempts to automatically detect internet settings. I had this problem with Chrome, but havn't had a problem with this since.

SDN has been really slow for me the last few days. I'll click on a link and it will just sit for sometimes up to a minute trying to load. I know it has something to do with the servers here on SDN as the rest of the web works fine when I'm experiencing the "slow SDN"

Yeah, there has been an issue with the SQL server. I've temporarily turned-off search to reduce server load.

Last edited:
Well, I guess it's better than nothing.

What's the issue, server just overloaded?

Something more - SQL server isn't working that hard even with 3000+ members online.

I have hardware and SQL guys working on it.

Yeah, there has been an issue with the SQL server. I've temporarily turned-off search to reduce server load.

I was trying to figure out why the search fx had disappeared.

Typically, I do a search to find answers to these questions, but, well...I think you know where this is going.

Wow. ftw from none other than Lee Burnett.

Alas, it all went down in the Tech forum, aka the Siberia of SDN.

:(...none of my SDN friends will believe this ever happened.

Wow. ftw from none other than Lee Burnett.

Alas, it all went down in the Tech forum, aka the Siberia of SDN.

:(...none of my SDN friends will believe this ever happened.
I saw it! If you need someone to back you up, I'm here for ya. ;)