kj8210

7+ Year Member
May 15, 2012
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
or are MCAT averages getting even higher for DO schools? Like two cycles ago people got in with 25s and 26s and now I'm looking at most of the school specific threads and the averages are ~30. Have people gotten interview invites wtih MCAT scores <28? If so to which school and what was your gpa? (you dont have to give a specific value for your gpa, a range works).

BPMED

7+ Year Member
May 31, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I feel the same way, but also consider that it is still early in the cycle, and schools may be pulling the star applicants right now. Just my two cents.

UCNeuro

Scrubs=life
Aug 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I have gotten 6 interview invites total with a 26(6,10,10) MCAT and a cGPA 3.2 sGPA 3.45. So far I have 1 rejection post interview and 1 acceptance post interview. I have 4 more interviews to go. Its all about casting a wide net and playing to your strengths.

radkat101

5+ Year Member
May 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
For the established DO schools, MCAT scores are very close to MD averages now. There are still a bunch of new schools popping up with much lower numbers. So to answer your question, I would say there is just a much broader range of acceptable stats amongst the schools in the DO world than in MD right now.

Reactions: SkipJunior
OP
kj8210

kj8210

7+ Year Member
May 15, 2012
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I see. I guess my problem was that I only applied to schools whose MCAT scores were closer to the MD range (last cycle). I have a 26 but I only applied to NYCOM, VCOM, PCOM, UNECOM, and LECOM. Had an interview at NYCOM but got waitlisted. I applied to every DO school this cycle so I'm hoping that helps my chances. Just still feeling a little morally defeated since last cycle but I guess it was my own fault for only applying to schools with MCAT avgs alot higher than mine. Thanks for the feedback though guys!

Reactions: juan_521

Awesome Sauceome

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
In a pine tree
Status
Non-Student
Yea they are definitely raising the bar. Heck look at MUCOM (a new school), their average is a 27.3 MCAT. I think its the times. Its a bad time to find work, so people figure to just keep going to school. More people in the pot means you have higher numbers to pick from. More acceptance of DOs in the community also means that more MD students end up applying DO as well, since the stigma of old is slowly fading away.

But as someone mentioned, there are definitely newer schools with lower numbers as well. The range for DO school averages is about as much as it is for MD schools - approximately 6 points. Some schools have a 24 average, some have a 30 average. You have to apply smart.

May 6, 2014
Wild West
Status
Medical Student
or are MCAT averages getting even higher for DO schools? Like two cycles ago people got in with 25s and 26s and now I'm looking at most of the school specific threads and the averages are ~30. Have people gotten interview invites wtih MCAT scores <28? If so to which school and what was your gpa? (you dont have to give a specific value for your gpa, a range works).
I received an interview from LECOM this cycle with a 24 MCAT (6 verbal), but my GPA is 3.9 so that may have had something to do with it. Check out he Official interview invite thread. There are plenty of people on there with sub 28 MCAT.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
They are. A number of DO schools now are equivalent with some state MD schools in the mid-west and South in terms of numbers. AZCOM thinks that they can now compete toe-to-toe with the two U AZ MD schools (and the other AZ Do school). We'll see how that flies.

But to put your mind at ease, people will get II sand accepts with scores < 28. One just has to apply strategically.

Reactions: OsteopathicHopeful