Is it late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My professor and dentist finally are done with my LORs and will be sending them out to AADSAS today. I don't think my files with the schools will be complete for another 2-3 weeks. Is it late?

Members don't see this ad.

I sent my LORs directly to the schools in addition to AADSAS because, from what I've read on this forum, AADSAS doesn't have the fastest turnaround time.

(By the way, I submitted my AADSAS application on Aug. 18 and it hasn't been processed yet and I sent my LORs last week. My schools will receive the LOR before my AADSAS, but oh well...better that than my file sitting on an Adcom desk waiting for AADSAS to send my LORs.)

Lilith said:
My professor and dentist finally are done with my LORs and will be sending them out to AADSAS today. I don't think my files with the schools will be complete for another 2-3 weeks. Is it late?

You can count on AADSAS to sit on those LOR's for a while before sending them out. If you want to speed things up a bit you could ask you recommenders if they would be willing to mail an additional copy of their letter to each of the schools you are applying to. Should they agree to it you'll shave at least four weeks of waiting around for your files to be complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I will just try to send them directly bypassing AADSAS then. Thank you.

Lilith -- has your AADSAS been processed yet or when did you submit? Just out of curiousity. Regardless, I still recommend sending teh LORs directly to the schools. Provide your letterwriters with stamped envelops for all your schools, and I'm sure they will be accommodating.

AADSAS had sent out my applications last Friday. Two of my LORs didn't make it in time. I have no problem sending out the LORs to schools directly bypassing AADSAS. The thing is I am applying to 10+ schools, and I don't think it's convenient for my professor and my dentist to sent out so many letters. I do however, have LOR service through UCLA. They can make copies and send the letters to the schools for me. They charge $20 for each letter with expedited service. Their regular service takes about 3-4 weeks, which is not any faster than AADSAS.

holy crapola! $20 per letter for all your schools?! So we're talking $400+?! Dang. That's a lot of $$! I really do think it's fair for you to request that they send the letters directly to the schools. I know what you're saying that you don't want to inconvenience them, but put yourself in their shoes -- would you be bothered to print the same piece of paper 10x, fold it up, and put it into an addressed, stamped envelop? 2 minutes, max! If they wrote you letters of recommendation, they obviously think you're a great, strong candidate and are willing to do this minor thing to help you out!! Don't sweat it. :)

Aside to everyone: Be sure to write your letterwriters a thank-you note!! I actually received a thank-you note from one of my professors thanking me for thanking him! Apparently not many students do this, which blows my mind!! :)

drat said:
holy crapola! $20 per letter for all your schools?! So we're talking $400+?! Dang. That's a lot of $$! I really do think it's fair for you to request that they send the letters directly to the schools. I know what you're saying that you don't want to inconvenience them, but put yourself in their shoes -- would you be bothered to print the same piece of paper 10x, fold it up, and put it into an addressed, stamped envelop? 2 minutes, max! If they wrote you letters of recommendation, they obviously think you're a great, strong candidate and are willing to do this minor thing to help you out!! Don't sweat it. :)

Aside to everyone: Be sure to write your letterwriters a thank-you note!! I actually received a thank-you note from one of my professors thanking me for thanking him! Apparently not many students do this, which blows my mind!! :)

You are right! It's a lot of money for me. I will try to ask to see if they can mail out the letters for me. Thanks! :thumbup: