Is it necessary to have Step II CK score in order to get ranked for pathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wh0820

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me whether it is necessary to have Step II CK score in in order to be ranked for Pathology residency programs? The only program I know that has this requirement (actually both CK and CS) is Dartmouth. Does any other programs require Step II CK for ranking?

I plan to take Step II after the match day (I know many of my classmates will do the same thing) but get a little worried after reading some of the posts here.

wh0820

Members don't see this ad.

It varies. Probably best to specifically ask the program director before/when you interview as to what the requirement for that program actually is.

wh0820 said:
Can anyone tell me whether it is necessary to have Step II CK score in in order to be ranked for Pathology residency programs? The only program I know that has this requirement (actually both CK and CS) is Dartmouth. Does any other programs require Step II CK for ranking?

I plan to take Step II after the match day (I know many of my classmates will do the same thing) but get a little worried after reading some of the posts here.

wh0820
Most programs don't care. However, there are exceptions. There were a few of these places that I applied to where they wanted Step 2 scores in order for me to get an interview. I never took it until end of January and I had already received invites already from those places anyway.

So short answer...if you kicked ass on Step 1, don't worry about it. If a strong step 1 score makes you a good candidate, then they may likely overlook it and invite you for an interview with out it anyway.

I think taking Step II after match day is an excellent idea. Even better, if you do want to take it sooner, take it after Feb. 23rd which is when rank order lists are submitted and considered final from the standpoint of ERAS. That way, you can not study and just pass the damn thing (no pressure really). Now, if for some chance, you fail it, then you can retake it in time to graduate.

Plus...it's pathology. You're not applying to rads or derm. Don't sweat it. Seriously, we've had some really awesome candidates interview here recently with like really insane board scores and honors in medicine and surgery. And I always want to ask them...why pathology?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank a lot for the input! :love:

AngryTesticle said:
we've had some really awesome candidates interview here recently with like really insane board scores and honors in medicine and surgery. And I always want to ask them...why pathology?
hope they didn't give you the "easy lifestyle" line :smuggrin:

AngryTesticle said:
Seriously, we've had some really awesome candidates interview here recently with like really insane board scores and honors in medicine and surgery. And I always want to ask them...why pathology?

Because it's THE BEST!! :thumbup: I wouldn't want to go into rads or derm even if I did happen to be an awesome candidate!

my post had nothing to do with topic...deleting...for some reason we can't delete our own posts. :confused: