Is it normal, even as a non-trad, to not like some courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdan83

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my undergrad degree and, even at 28, I still have no interest in certain coursework.

I'm an accounting major and I do well in my accounting classes and I actually like them because accounting was always my plan B. I'm talking about major requirements/humanities, etc..

As future doctors, are we supposed to have this mindset that we have to enjoy every class that we take?

I'm taking Macro right now and I hate it. Some stuff is interesting but the class itself is beyond boring and I'm no economist. Is it normal as pre-med's to not like every class you take? I'll end up getting an A or a B+ in the class but I have no interest in it. I do the bare minimum required.

Members don't see this ad.

Dan, never mind college; I didn't like several of the med school classes I took. I also didn't like some of my third year rotations, and I don't like some of the specialties I have to rotate through as a resident, either. It's totally normal not to love everything you have to study, but get used to doing as well as possible in classes you don't like. They're in your curriculum because somebody above you on the food chain thinks they should be there, and sometimes you will appreciate later why you had to take them. Other times, you'll still think they were pointless, but unfortunately, there's just a certain amount of hoop jumping you have to go through if you want to be a physician. ;)

I'm finishing up my undergrad degree and, even at 28, I still have no interest in certain coursework.

I'm an accounting major and I do well in my accounting classes and I actually like them because accounting was always my plan B. I'm talking about major requirements/humanities, etc..

As future doctors, are we supposed to have this mindset that we have to enjoy every class that we take?

I'm taking Macro right now and I hate it. Some stuff is interesting but the class itself is beyond boring and I'm no economist. Is it normal as pre-med's to not like every class you take? I'll end up getting an A or a B+ in the class but I have no interest in it. I do the bare minimum required.

Why would a lack of interest in macro...(economics?) be indicative of anything. But normal itself.

Enjoying every class means nothing except that you're a made man in the Nerd Mafia.

Now, keep in mind that you will be consuming massive amounts of scientific nuts and bolts before anyone let's near enough to kill a patient. So the trick of finding volumes of penis withering informatiopn interesting is a more than useful mindtrick. One that should be practiced with dilidgence. For when the time comes you might need this and that of medical trivia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dan, never mind college; I didn't like several of the med school classes I took. I also didn't like some of my third year rotations, and I don't like some of the specialties I have to rotate through as a resident, either. It's totally normal not to love everything you have to study, but get used to doing as well as possible in classes you don't like. They're in your curriculum because somebody above you on the food chain thinks they should be there, and sometimes you will appreciate later why you had to take them. Other times, you'll still think they were pointless, but unfortunately, there's just a certain amount of hoop jumping you have to go through if you want to be a physician. ;)

Speaking of Jedi. Master Q pops out of the continuum. Saving lives and riding in helicopters. To outpost me.

And Im just sitting here watching a Bill Murray movie.

See, OP, there's a wide specturm of talent. Finding material interesting that isn't being just one aspect.

Thanks guys.

It's July 4th and I'm sitting at home writing an ECON paper on TARP. It makes my head hurt because I don't care about this stuff. We have other people in the world who can worry about this. It's not as hard as one might think but my brain just does not like to absorb material that I could care less about. I just want to learn what I need to learn to start treating patients. I would take A&P over this ECON stuff anytime.

This whole process just gets to you sometimes.

NO DAN YOU MUST LOVE EVERY CLASS ALWAYS AND FOREVER!!! If you don't you will never get anywhere in life!!!

Of course we all have subjects that just don't float the boat... otherwise we'd all be the same!

I don't understand the reference. Adult learning theory says you not like boring stuff when you're older?

I had in mind the point about courses needing to be relevant.

No. You absolutely, positively MUST love every single course you take in college as a non-trad or AdComs will throw your app in the shredder. If you somehow get past the initial screening process, they do a combination of fMRI scans and have you take blood tests to measure your cortisol levels after an in-depth discussion of every single class on your transcript-any spikes and they send you out the back door to get beat up by campus security, then they call every other medical school in the nation (and the big three in the Caribbean) to make sure you don't get in.

Seriously, who in the history of college has LOVED every single class they took? You've got the right attitude: suck it up, swallow the bile and get a good grade in the class and then never look back. Sometimes a college pre-req is as much about knowing what you DON'T want to do as it is about learning what you DO want to do with your life.

Thanks guys

I was just concerned because there are more classes that I dislike than I do like. I tend to look at college as just another hurdle. Maybe I'm in the minority but I have found college extremely stressful.

I thought that something was wrong with my mindset. I was under the impression that pre-med students love to learn anything and everything.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I hate all of my gen ed classes. Psych, Soc, Humanities, they're all stupid and I find it very difficult to motivate myself to study or do work. I have received a few b's in these classes, not because the information is difficult, but because I can't stand sitting down and studying it.

However, my BCPM classes thus far have fascinated me, captivated my interest, and had my motivation piqued. I have done very well in these classes.

Last edited:
second example for the day.....

me and anatomy

we co-exist and nothing more...i will never love it but rather i simply tolerated it :laugh:

Thanks guys

I was just concerned because there are more classes that I dislike than I do like. I tend to look at college as just another hurdle. Maybe I'm in the minority but I have found college extremely stressful.

I thought that something was wrong with my mindset. I was under the impression that pre-med students love to learn anything and everything.

It's perfectly normal. BUT - if you can find something like about those classes and focus on that more than the things you don't like, I think you'll find it goes a long way in helping to reduce the amount of stress you face. Something that's barely part of your course material, or something about the class completely unrelated to the material, or even anything else - find it and latch onto it like your life (grade?) depends on it.

From my own personal experience (five years of near-insanity in music conservatories), a lot of stress associated with classes is a mental game in which you play against yourself. You have the capability to overcome anything college throws at you, so long as you keep your head in the right place.

Or something like that. :p