Is it ok to call the program director?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docindamaking

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of some people calling the program director themselves if they are interested in a place, is that a good idea or poor form? This whole process is entirely too stressful!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I'd call. People are busy. A letter delivered by the US Post Office might be a nice touch, however. Don't stress, life is good.

I don't think I'd call. People are busy. A letter delivered by the US Post Office might be a nice touch, however. Don't stress, life is good.

agreed. email or letter. only reason to have a one on one conversation with program director outside of interview day is if you are from that med school or you are doing an away rotation because it is your first choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only if the PD calls you. I had a PD at one program call me a couple of times. This was at a pretty good program. I would have felt comfortable calling him.

Only if the PD calls you. I had a PD at one program call me a couple of times. This was at a pretty good program. I would have felt comfortable calling him.
I'm wondering when people have received calls from PD's in the past -- i.e. right around now, or closer to the end of February when ROL's are due? May sound dumb, but I was curious to see which programs would reach out & contact me before I contacted them to declare they were at the top of MY list. Oh, the ridiculous ranking game-playing...

A phone call has a high risk for awkwardness on both sides. If it is out of the blue and unexpected, the PD may be caught off guard and not recall who you are. That would not be very reassuring for the candidate and puts the PD in an awkward position. Even if the PD remembers you and you tell him they are your number one choice, there could be a long pause as you wait for them to respond with their love for you. It would most likely be like telling the girl you've been dating for a month that you love her and expecting her to return the favor. Instead, you get an awkward pause. You will have no way of interpreting the cause of the pause in your phone call with the PD. So you will be thinking:
Does he not love me too? Does he even remember who I am? Am I highly ranked and he just can't remember the details of the list? Did he say he loves me too just to be nice? Are they busy or with a patient? Are they even going to rank me all? Why won't he take my call? I left a message, but he never called back! Is he on vacation? Did he even get the message?
I think there is only a small chance you will hang up the phone and say, "Boy, I am really glad that I made that phone call." Say it in an email or a letter so that you can choose your words more carefully and don't have to think on your feet.

DO NOT CALL -- these people are busy and the last thing they want is a phone call from some pesky med student -- sorry but I think thats how it would come off. send an email, thats it... unless of course they call you but i think thats uncommon except in smaller more initmate programs where you maybe rotated.

yeah there is no way you either a) improve your standing or b) feel better about your standing, after making this phone call

A phone call has a high risk for awkwardness on both sides. If it is out of the blue and unexpected, the PD may be caught off guard and not recall who you are. That would not be very reassuring for the candidate and puts the PD in an awkward position. Even if the PD remembers you and you tell him they are your number one choice, there could be a long pause as you wait for them to respond with their love for you. It would most likely be like telling the girl you've been dating for a month that you love her and expecting her to return the favor. Instead, you get an awkward pause. You will have no way of interpreting the cause of the pause in your phone call with the PD. So you will be thinking:
Does he not love me too? Does he even remember who I am? Am I highly ranked and he just can't remember the details of the list? Did he say he loves me too just to be nice? Are they busy or with a patient? Are they even going to rank me all? Why won't he take my call? I left a message, but he never called back! Is he on vacation? Did he even get the message?
I think there is only a small chance you will hang up the phone and say, "Boy, I am really glad that I made that phone call." Say it in an email or a letter so that you can choose your words more carefully and don't have to think on your feet.

This is tremendous advice and should be stickied.