Is it ok to do Research that Is not Ortho specific?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-Medguy1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school does not really have that any ortho research projects going on (maybe 1 that you could vaguely argue is related to Ortho) and that professor only takes one student on each year. However, my school has a bunch of other research projects and I am going to start one of them next week. My question is, when it comes time to apply to residency, will me not doing Ortho specific research be held against me when there are quite literally no opportunities available?

Members don't see this ad.

My school does not really have that any ortho research projects going on (maybe 1 that you could vaguely argue is related to Ortho) and that professor only takes one student on each year. However, my school has a bunch of other research projects and I am going to start one of them next week. My question is, when it comes time to apply to residency, will me not doing Ortho specific research be held against me when there are quite literally no opportunities available?
Is there no ortho department? I would imagine if there is that several attendings have ideas lying about, or there are residents that could use a hand.

Is there no ortho department? I would imagine if there is that several attendings have ideas lying about, or there are residents that could use a hand.
No, no ortho department. But I did have an idea that maybe you could tell me if it was feasible or not. There are several hospitals around here that do have Ortho programs that have active research projects. You think if I just reached out to them, they would be willing to bring me on to the project?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, no ortho department. But I did have an idea that maybe you could tell me if it was feasible or not. There are several hospitals around here that do have Ortho programs that have active research projects. You think if I just reached out to them, they would be willing to bring me on to the project?
Possible, worth a shot. I think they would understand that you don't have many opportunities at your school.

Thanks, this is actually helpful and something I was considering doing. Any ideas on how to do this logistically? Like who to contact or how?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I talk about it in my AMA thread. Reach out to their program coordinator and ask to meet with their research coordinator, or their program director, or somebody who is in charge of research.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user