Is it ok to do this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WireTransferx3

Reaction score
So I am a scribe. While training, all I did was shadow and not do any actual scribe work. Would it be fine to subtract from my scribe hours and put it under shadowing? Just to hit the "requirement" of shadowing. Its something like 25-30 hours so its not a huge amount but its enough to get the checkmark. Yay or nay? I dont think its wrong, maybe borderline unethical but w/e.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am a scribe. While training, all I did was shadow and not do any actual scribe work. Would it be fine to subtract from my scribe hours and put it under shadowing? Just to hit the "requirement" of shadowing. Its something like 25-30 hours so its not a huge amount but its enough to get the checkmark. Yay or nay? I dont think its wrong, maybe borderline unethical but w/e.
Yes, this is completely reasonable. As reviewers, evidence of shadowing is something that we look for. Listing it under shadowing makes it easy; but it's also pretty obvious that you have closely observed the doctor-patient relationship through your scribing work. Also, it's not wrong or unethical by any means: you did physically shadow someone. Just my thoughts and best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I think that scribing counts towards shadowing. Scribing involves actively paying attention to how the doctor and patient interact and what transpires after, and the only thing that separates it from shadowing is that you're typing at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing I would add to the above answers is to ask what specialty you scribe for. When I asked this question a couple years ago as a pre med I was told I needed separate shadowing experience. Since I was a scribe for an orthopedic hand surgeon, I now see why it was valuable for me to shadow an internist as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing I would add to the above answers is to ask what specialty you scribe for. When I asked this question a couple years ago as a pre med I was told I needed separate shadowing experience. Since I was a scribe for an orthopedic hand surgeon, I now see why it was valuable for me to shadow an internist as well.
I have other shadowing experience in another field, buts its minimal. So I have 2 specialties.

I have other shadowing experience in another field, buts its minimal. So I have 2 specialties.
Specifically, is one of them primary care? About 40% of US MD's go into primary care so some schools like to see that you understand what that field is like. May matter less at some schools. Probably matters most at DO schools. Asking because an application paints a specific picture if the shadowing is only ortho and neurosurgery, for example. Not inherently bad but there are a lot of unflattering ways to answer if asked about only shadowing in hyper-competitive specialities in an interview.

Reactions: 1 user