You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Is it okay for her to be upset?
Started by taken2
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Okay guys, I have a question.
I am shadowing this pharmacist as part of the stupid IPPE program they are forcing us to do this sememster. We are required to have 20 hrs of shadowing a pharmacist as part of a course requirement.
The problem is that we have till the 28th of this month to complete this program and I have only gone once for 4hrs and that was two weeks ago. But before I left that day, I explained to the pharmacist that I will be able to come in only on fridays because of my classes and I also have two kids that I have to pick up by 6.30pm everyday from the day care. It is only on fridays that I can get like 4hrs before picking up my kids. Okay I wasn't able to go last week's friday because I had to stay for a review sesion for an exam we had on Monday (this is our exam week, we have one every month. just exams and no lectures).
Then yesterday, I was on my way back from school and headed to the place when I got a call from the day care center my kids attend that I should come pick up my son because his temp was like 105. I still drove down to this pharmacy hoping the pharmacist will be there to explain to her but unfortunately she wasn't there. The other pharmacist and the tech there were suprised that I wasn't gonna stay and the way they sounded, I kind of get the feel that the pharmacist I am shadowing is upset too.
I don't get it, is it okay for her to be upset? Am I not supposed to come in when I can considering that I am in pharmacy school and I don't have help with my kids which I explained to her on the first day. I just don't want her to feel that I am not serious because she will have to fill out some forms for me at the end of the program.
I plan to go the whole of next week ( if my son is well enough to go back to day care) even if it means missing some of my classes.
Yes...she has every right & reason to be upset!
You have taken on this responsibility to obtain your education, which, I assume, this class is part of.
By taking on the acceptance...you have told them you are willing to do what is necessary. You only have to complete 20 hours & you've only found 4 hours in which to do this????? Twenty hours is NOTHING! It is only stupid because you haven't decided this is a priority for you and it seems you've conveyed your opinion to them. You have already stipulated that you decided a review session is a greater priority than your REQUIRED shadowing. You have already made it plain that you are not able nor willing to find another daycare pickup situation which would allow you to complete a REQUIREMENT. The pharmacist you are shadowing or the technicians you are working with cannot make those stipulations - why do you feel you can?
In the real world......you do not get the option to say you must leave at a certain time. You are going to have to find &/or make other arrangements or you will constantly be in the position of "asking" or "demanding" others compensate for a situation which is not of their making.
What will happen when you are required to be at a surgical rotation & rounds start at 5AM? Who will be with your kids then?
We don't care what your personal situation is....you are in pharmacy school - it is your job to make it work! You must have thought of this before you decided to attend.....
Yes...she has every right & reason to be upset!
You have taken on this responsibility to obtain your education, which, I assume, this class is part of.
By taking on the acceptance...you have told them you are willing to do what is necessary. You only have to complete 20 hours & you've only found 4 hours in which to do this????? Twenty hours is NOTHING! It is only stupid because you haven't decided this is a priority for you and it seems you've conveyed your opinion to them. You have already stipulated that you decided a review session is a greater priority than your REQUIRED shadowing. You have already made it plain that you are not able nor willing to find another daycare pickup situation which would allow you to complete a REQUIREMENT. The pharmacist you are shadowing or the technicians you are working with cannot make those stipulations - why do you feel you can?
In the real world......you do not get the option to say you must leave at a certain time. You are going to have to find &/or make other arrangements or you will constantly be in the position of "asking" or "demanding" others compensate for a situation which is not of their making.
What will happen when you are required to be at a surgical rotation & rounds start at 5AM? Who will be with your kids then?
We don't care what your personal situation is....you are in pharmacy school - it is your job to make it work! You must have thought of this before you decided to attend.....
Wow!!! Here I thought sdn1977 was a big softie!!! Sdn is exactly right. Honestly, if you think school is hectic wait until you graduate. Trust me it does not get any easier.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow!!! Here I thought sdn1977 was a big softie!!! Sdn is exactly right. Honestly, if you think school is hectic wait until you graduate. Trust me it does not get any easier.
I am a softie....but - I'm not a pushover. We all have our issues, but none of them belong in the workplace.
If you have a death, an unexpected emotional &/or physical issue with family....we all deal with that.
But...kids get sick - that is an expectation. Kids are in daycare - that is an expectation when you applied to school. You know that as soon as that child is born. So...you had to have thought this through ahead of time and make allowances for that.
Sorry.....I've raised two kids & know the choices aren't good. They are just there & require negotiation between you & your SO &/or other caregivers - not your employer or school. If you make poor choices....expect poor consequences.
Yes...she has every right & reason to be upset!
You have taken on this responsibility to obtain your education, which, I assume, this class is part of.
By taking on the acceptance...you have told them you are willing to do what is necessary. You only have to complete 20 hours & you've only found 4 hours in which to do this????? Twenty hours is NOTHING! It is only stupid because you haven't decided this is a priority for you and it seems you've conveyed your opinion to them. You have already stipulated that you decided a review session is a greater priority than your REQUIRED shadowing. You have already made it plain that you are not able nor willing to find another daycare pickup situation which would allow you to complete a REQUIREMENT. The pharmacist you are shadowing or the technicians you are working with cannot make those stipulations - why do you feel you can?
In the real world......you do not get the option to say you must leave at a certain time. You are going to have to find &/or make other arrangements or you will constantly be in the position of "asking" or "demanding" others compensate for a situation which is not of their making.
What will happen when you are required to be at a surgical rotation & rounds start at 5AM? Who will be with your kids then?
We don't care what your personal situation is....you are in pharmacy school - it is your job to make it work! You must have thought of this before you decided to attend.....
👍 I agree. It drives me nuts when people have all sorts of excuses for why they can't get certain things done. We all know we need to get these certain things done. It's one thing if it never happens but some people constantly have excuses.
I would be upset too if I was her!
Preceptors often times shuffle around their schedules too to make time for students. You are not being respectful to her. If you don't make it a priority, why should she?
SDN1977 is 100% dead on. This is a required course as part of your pharmacy education. The school wants you there for a reason no matter how stupid or pointless you feel it is. You made the choice to go to pharmacy school. I know it is difficult for people with kids, but you knew that going into it. Regardless of that...the expectations should be the same of all students. No one gets special treatment. You can't expect to come and go on rotations as you please. Remember, these preceptors can fail you if they don't feel you are doing what you are suppose to be.
Preceptors often times shuffle around their schedules too to make time for students. You are not being respectful to her. If you don't make it a priority, why should she?
SDN1977 is 100% dead on. This is a required course as part of your pharmacy education. The school wants you there for a reason no matter how stupid or pointless you feel it is. You made the choice to go to pharmacy school. I know it is difficult for people with kids, but you knew that going into it. Regardless of that...the expectations should be the same of all students. No one gets special treatment. You can't expect to come and go on rotations as you please. Remember, these preceptors can fail you if they don't feel you are doing what you are suppose to be.
I really don't get what you mean by that last statement but I know how hard I have worked to be here with two little kids. Believe me I know how to make it work. I won't throw my kids away for some stupid stuff like that. They are far more important to me than pharmacy school believe me. I just thought that the pharmacist shouldn't be upset as long as I get my 20hrs before the deadline. Everybody's situation is different, Right now all I want to do is go to school and care for my kids. To me she has no reason to be upset, all I am required by this program is to just come in and observe her for any for any amount of time in a given day. She is just looking for some free labor. The first time I went there, I was helping them out because it is very busy store despite the serious warning from the program cordinators that we shouldn't work no matter what.
Anyway thanks for your response
Anyway thanks for your response
I really don't get what you mean by that last statement but I know how hard I have worked to be here with two little kids. Believe me I know how to make it work. I won't throw my kids away for some stupid stuff like that. They are far more important to me than pharmacy school believe me. I just thought that the pharmacist shouldn't be upset as long as I get my 20hrs before the deadline. Everybody's situation is different, Right now all I want to do is go to school and care for my kids. To me she has no reason to be upset, all I am required by this program is to just come in and observe her for any for any amount of time in a given day. She is just looking for some free labor. The first time I went there, I was helping them out because it is very busy store despite the serious warning from the program cordinators that we shouldn't work no matter what.
Anyway thanks for your response
When you are coming into someone else's workplace, you are imposing on them - and your presence is at THEIR convenience. The pharmacist can tell you don't think it's a priority and she's probably DREADING the prospect of an "observer" being in the pharmacy a whole bunch between now and the 28th. You've waited until the last minute, you've ticked off the person who is evaluating you... now is your chance to show some humility and maybe you can salvage this...
Oh, and like you, I am going to pharmacy school with a very young child. In fact, I live in a different city than my husband and child for a little better than half the week while I'm at school. You are just going to HAVE to find a way to make it work. Good luck!
Oh, and if my child had a temperature of 105 - I'd expect my daycare provider to call an ambulance to take her to the hospital... a fever that high in a child young enough to be in daycare can be very serious.
I don't care where I am even in the middle of an exam, I would have left to go attend to my child.
I wish I have the same option you have. I go to school in the same town but like an hour and half commute to school everyday. My husband works overseas so I care for our two kids alone while I go to school. So when the day care calls, there is no one else to send to go pick them up. I drop them off in the morning and pick them up after school everyday. It is just me and them and to me they come before pharmacy school ( especially when it has to do with a very sick child )
I don't like it when people get on here and start bashing you like they can walk a mile in your shoes. Anyway I asked for your guys opinion and I got it. Thank everyone.
I wish I have the same option you have. I go to school in the same town but like an hour and half commute to school everyday. My husband works overseas so I care for our two kids alone while I go to school. So when the day care calls, there is no one else to send to go pick them up. I drop them off in the morning and pick them up after school everyday. It is just me and them and to me they come before pharmacy school ( especially when it has to do with a very sick child )
I don't like it when people get on here and start bashing you like they can walk a mile in your shoes. Anyway I asked for your guys opinion and I got it. Thank everyone.
I don't care where I am even in the middle of an exam, I would have left to go attend to my child.
I wish I have the same option you have. I go to school in the same town but like an hour and half commute to school everyday. My husband works overseas so I care for our two kids alone while I go to school. So when the day care calls, there is no one else to send to go pick them up. I drop them off in the morning and pick them up after school everyday. It is just me and them and to me they come before pharmacy school ( especially when it has to do with a very sick child )
I don't like it when people get on here and start bashing you like they can walk a mile in your shoes. Anyway I asked for your guys opinion and I got it. Thank everyone.
So, what did you think it would be like, going to pharmacy school as a single parent?
I'm not bashing you - you must have made some type of plans for a support system for yourself and your kids before you decided to go to school?
It looks like the OP has gotten what she wanted from this thread and is ready for the discussion to close.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 38
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 4K