is it okay to not answer an interview question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
after reading through lots of entries on interviewfeedback.com, I have a question. if you are asked something in an interview that you feel is inappropriate, is it okay to say that you are not comfortable answering that question? while I doubt that would happen, I am curious as to whether this violates some sort of interview conduct or something.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From everything I've read about this topic it seems that inappropriate interview questions tend to fall into two catergories: 1. the interviewer has no idea the question is inappropriate (like asking only women if they plan to have a family) and 2. the interviewer is trying to see how you react under pressure. Either way, it's probably better to answer the question. Since they're trying to see how a potential doctor will deal with other people and perhaps uncomfortable situations, flatly refusing on principle to answer a question doesn't show how well you can think on your feet. Getting upset would definitly be bad. Answer vaguely if you need to. If you do, you may have just passed the test!

I think Wed is right on this one. I have been asked some pretty weird questions (about balancing family & career, the racism conference in S. Africa, evolution, God, & even slave reparations.) I didn't know the opinion of my interviewer so I had to play it by ear. The main thing is that you remain calm, cool and collected and don't get flustered. If you need a moment to collect your thoughts, just say so, and Actually take that moment to think of what you will say. They are understanding about that usually.

If it is totally unacceptable, humor is always a way to get out of sticky situations. I got asked a weird question about a political situation and I said something like, "well, let me answer this as a lawyer. Would you prefer me to plead the 5th or pretend to answer but really evade the question completely?" :D They laughed and forgot about the question! or they decided to be kind.

In any case, be honest, NOT adamant about your opinions and make sure you can also see many different points of view and convey this attribute to the interviewer as well.

I got asked a weird question about a political situation and I said something like, "well, let me answer this as a lawyer. Would you prefer me to plead the 5th or pretend to answer but really evade the question completely?"

Hahahaha!!! Excellent response! Go get 'em! :D :D :D