Is it okay to submit secondaries a month after receiving them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fish_bowl_cat

Reaction score
I received basically all my secondaries within a week of each other in mid-august - and I'll be submitting most of them (apart from the ones that had hard deadlines) mid-late september. Would it be bad that it's been more than a month? I'm working full-time at the same time.

Members don't see this ad.

What would be your other option ? I assume you have submitted those with hard deadlines? It’s mid-September now. If you are going to submit the remainder start prioritizing them right now. Maybe take a few days off work and crank them out. How many do you have left? If you want to go to med school you have to submit the secondaries.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
What would be your other option ? I assume you have submitted those with hard deadlines? It’s mid-September now. If you are going to submit the remainder start prioritizing them right now. Maybe take a few days off work and crank them out. How many do you have left? If you want to go to med school you have to submit the secondaries.
Yes I've submitted all the ones with hard deadlines - I am gonna submit all the secondaries regardless, and will have them done in the next couple of weeks. I was just wondering if it hurts my chances a lot if I'm submitting the secondaries a month after compared to submitting them 7-14 days after. I just saw discussions online about medical schools using the time gap between receiving and submitting secondaries as an indicator of interest and panicked haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I've submitted all the ones with hard deadlines - I am gonna submit all the secondaries regardless, and will have them done in the next couple of weeks. I was just wondering if it hurts my chances a lot if I'm submitting the secondaries a month after compared to submitting them 7-14 days after. I just saw discussions online about medical schools using the time gap between receiving and submitting secondaries as an indicator of interest and panicked haha

I think more than the time between receipt and submission it’s that they’ll get to your application later that’ll hurt chances. Your best bet now, imo, is to finish them up as soon as you can. Since a verified primary was sent to schools you’ll be considered a reapplicant regardless of whether you finish the secondaries (if you have to reapply)

To give you a reference point, the secondaries I competed in mid- late September last year were reviewed around December to January. If you’re a strong fit, you may get an interview, especially since applications are not reviewed in chronological order.

I didn’t receive interviews but others with strong stats who submitted around the same time did.

Try to enjoy life and don’t stress out too much. If you do have to reapply, focus primarily on getting complete applications in early.

You’ll be alright in the long run :).

Reactions: 3 users
I think more than the time between receipt and submission it’s that they’ll get to your application later that’ll hurt chances. Your best bet now, imo, is to finish them up as soon as you can. Since a verified primary was sent to schools you’ll be considered a reapplicant regardless of whether you finish the secondaries (if you have to reapply)

To give you a reference point, the secondaries I competed in mid- late September last year were reviewed around December to January. If you’re a strong fit, you may get an interview, especially since applications are not reviewed in chronological order.

I didn’t receive interviews but others with strong stats who submitted around the same time did.

Try to enjoy life and don’t stress out too much. If you do have to reapply, focus primarily on getting complete applications in early.

You’ll be alright in the long run :).
Got it - hopefully my stats help haha
thank you!