Is it out of control? (applying to 10+schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ironey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it looks like most people apply to over 10 schools each year - an average of about 15?? Most people seem to think that applying to less is detrimental to their chances of acceptance.

What I want to know:

Is there anyone out there that applied to less than 10 schools and still got in?

There is an interesting discussion going on in the "Match Process for medical school" thread about limiting the amount of schools to which you are allowed to apply.

What do you guys think about imposing a limit?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the number of schools one applies to can vary for a variety of reasons. The most important reason in my opinion is the strength of the application. i was fairly confident in my application and applied to 12 schools. If I felt that my application was not very strong, I would have increased the number of schools (ie more safety school) to better my chances of an acceptance. Since the application process is so exhausting and expensive, its probably better to apply to more schools than less schools in order to avoid repeating the process. My premed advisor told me that there is no signifcant change in accpetance chances when you start applying to more than 20 schools. I agree with that statement in its generalized form but remind you that its more important to see WHAT schools you are applying to than just the number.

Best of luck!

I don't think imposing a limit would be appropriate, b/c as ab said, people have a lot of reasons for deciding where to apply. I applied to 17, which in retrospect was too many, but I was trying to err on the side of caution. Because my spouse has to relocate, too, I was trying to get us both as many options as possible.

Also, I met a lot of Californians who applied to 25+ schools. A UC isn't really a "safety" option the way many other states' schools are, so how many you apply to also depends on your in-state options.

Med schools often ask how many places you applied. If you say, "five," you might come off as arrogant unless you have a good reason (like it's impossible for you to relocate).

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to every school you can.

Why you ask? Because it is THE REST OF YOUR LIFE and YOUR EDUCATION WILL COST YOU OVER $100,000. So, don't pinch pennies now unless you really, really don't have any other options.

Best of Luck,
WISC-ite

I applied to 27 schools and completed 24 secondaries. During the Month of August I basically worked 9-5 and came home to write essys from 7-1 and sometimes 2am. I will say that applying to so many schools can be draining and sure to some people it can be a waste of time. It all depends on how much you want to invest especially when you finish your 15th app and see a whole pile of papers that still need to be gone through.

The beauty of it is that you can recycle tons of essays and its ironic bc the schools I got interviews too and eventually were accepted to were the schools in which the essays were not originally written for those schools and/or did not have essays all together.

Having gone through it 24 apps was definitely a bit much. It is now May 7th and I have still not heard from 4 schools! But then again I have friends who only applied to less than 10 schools and were a little worried when December came and they hadn't gone on any interviews and I had already had 4. I would suggest that 15 is a good number +/- 2. And if money is a problem I would suggest looking into the Fee waiver program. It can't hurt. Good luck.

-Amit

Apply to as many as you can afford to.

Interviews/secondaries are what add up, and many schools will not even give you that option. You can always decline to turn in a secondary or attend an interview later in the year, but you need to open as many doors as possible right now.

16 school applications, 7 interviews, 3 acceptances. In retrospect I would have applied to the same number... my state school is no longer a safety for any oregonian.

Perhaps I should clarify? I've already applied and been accepted for next fall. Now that I've finished navigating the process I wonder how it could be made more user friendly. There was a previous discussion on creating a more uniform system of deadlines: end of secondary process, completion of interviews, an earlier final deadline for informing applicants of their status.

I was trying to start a discussion on the repercussions of limiting the number of schools to which people can apply. By imposing that limit, do you believe that schools and applicants would have more time to review each other and make more informed decisions? Would schools be able to commit to a more strict time line if they didn't have so many applications (i.e. moving the AAMC deadline to March so that waitlists can roll sooner and students can have more time to get ready)? It seems to me that applying to more and more schools is a widening gyre that is getting out of control. The more schools we apply to, the more applications each school gets, the higher the costs and the less personal attention each applicant gets in consideration.

If you don't think limiting applications would help the waitlist/time considerations, what would you suggest??

I'd love to discuss this if anyone is interested . . . .

I applied to 10. In retrospect, I wish I had applied to more.