Is it possible to drop out of Master's program after dental school acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DennisRodman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The program that I'm in takes 2 years to complete. However, if I got into a dental school that will be starting next august, is it possible for me to just drop out of Master's program without any negative impact? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure but I doubt it. Usually schools accept you with the assumption that if you're currently working on a degree, that you complete it.

Negatory. Even if you get interviews, you will be required to complete your degree before matriculation. If it takes 2 years to do your masters, then I'd wait until the summer after your first year to apply bcuz you won't be accepted

Members don't see this ad :)
I am half way done with Master, got accepted and trying to finish it before August!! Taking seven classes this semester...but I think you should call school that accepts you to know better..I never called the dental school that accepted me because I just want to finish it..

The dentist I work for dropped out of his masters program when he got into dental school. He didn't mention any problems.

It's case by case.

Reactions: 1 user
If a school accepts you, why not? You might have to call them, but I don't know why they'd accept you and expect anything more than a transcript with your latest semester. I'm somewhat new to this, but I've never heard of a one-year deferred acceptance that's contingent on another year of (good?) grades from some other program - that makes no sense. I also don't know why they wouldn't accept you if you look like a good candidate after just one year.

This sounds like a question for some of those helpful admissions members that every school has. They would be your primary source for this.

im in a masters program now and about 10 people have dropped because they were accepted