Is it possible to finish 4-year courses in 3 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2NC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question might be naive. But just wonder whether I can finish a 4 year PharmD program in 3 years?

My background: I have a PhD in Biochemistry and just got accepted by UNC pharmacy program.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe so. The courses are set for each year and everyone in the class generally takes the same courses with the exception of electives.

Members don't see this ad :)
This question might be naive. But just wonder whether I can finish a 4 year PharmD program in 3 years?

My background: I have a PhD in Biochemistry and just got accepted by UNC pharmacy program.

4 year schools take 4 years and 3 year schools take 3 years.

Yeah you can't get ahead in pharmacy school. The classes all build on each other, so you have to take them in order at a specific time.

Yeah you can't get ahead in pharmacy school. The classes all build on each other, so you have to take them in order at a specific time.

QFT.

Conversely, if you fail a single course (which, I doubt you'd do considering your background), there's a high chance you're stuck until next year due to the lock step nature of pharmacy school.

QFT.

Conversely, if you fail a single course (which, I doubt you'd do considering your background), there's a high chance you're stuck until next year due to the lock step nature of pharmacy school.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: good advice.

Nope.

You'll like second semester biochem at UNC

Thanks for all the advice!!! :)

Go drink a martini or something and ace Biochem while the not too bright students are crying in the bathroom after they fail their exam.

You should have enroll in a 3-yr program. With your educational background, you won't learn much in pharmacy school no matter where you go, except for the clinical part (maybe).

It's not possible because of accredidation issues at 4 yr institutions, I tried even with taking all the courses in the PharmD curriculum I could fininsh in 3.5 years but they can't let me because of ACPE.

I am a student at MCPHS in their "accelerated" program, it is 2 years and 10 month at MCPHS which is about standard, you go year round, but you have a month break at xmas and like 3 weeks in May. We do the same stuff as the Boston 4 year campus but we just do those 2 semesters in the summer instead. When I applied last year there were 5 accelerated programs that I was aware of. in the Northeast, there was Albany, Lake Erie and MCPHS. All had advantages and disadvantages, I didn't apply to Albany because you need a B in all your prereqs and I ended up with a B- in a 1 credit Organic lab and they wouldn't take it, even though I had an A in lecture. MCPHS- Manchester was closer to my home in Maine, so I went there. So far no complaints, although like all pharm programs, it is intense.

Go drink a martini or something and ace Biochem while the not too bright students are crying in the bathroom after they fail their exam.

You could also earn some extra cash tutoring your classmates :)

You could also earn some extra cash tutoring your classmates :)
Yeah. There's no shame in profiting off of dummies. Car makers do it all the time! :lol: