Is it possible to "get lucky" on NS FLs and outperform your ability?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YossarianLives

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to preface this hoping it doesn't come across as ridiculously neurotic. I am taking my test on 5/13, and have recently worked through the SB, Qpacks, and OG. After those, I turned to NS FLs. So far:

NS1: 517 NS2: 518 NS3: 516

After NS2, I made a post about how I got completely lost on a passage, and was concerned that it didn't bode well. Most people's response was that w a score like that on ns2, I should just not worry.

So anyway, I took NS3 this morning, and got the score above. problem is, I feel even worse after NS3. I really felt unsettled going through it, and was making educated guesses frequently.

So I'm curious, is it possible to WAY outshoot your coverage on these practice tests? Have people here seen many examples of a big drop off on the real thing? I don't FEEL LIKE a 515 tester!

Also, my lowest scores have always been on CARS, in the 127-128 range. Are NS FL CARS considered decent representations of the AAMC? They feel a little...off!

Members don't see this ad.

If I am not mistaken I have seen you post before and you have done pretty well on EK 30 min exams and the Q Packs so I think you're scores are representative of your ability. Since you are about a month out, I would take an AAMC exam now to see where you are at. If you have not already i would go through the section bank. If you have already but you might want to consider going through them again, a lot of high scorers have said that its so high yield that its worth going over twice.

So I'm going to preface this hoping it doesn't come across as ridiculously neurotic. I am taking my test on 5/13, and have recently worked through the SB, Qpacks, and OG. After those, I turned to NS FLs. So far:

NS1: 517 NS2: 518 NS3: 516

After NS2, I made a post about how I got completely lost on a passage, and was concerned that it didn't bode well. Most people's response was that w a score like that on ns2, I should just not worry.

So anyway, I took NS3 this morning, and got the score above. problem is, I feel even worse after NS3. I really felt unsettled going through it, and was making educated guesses frequently.

So I'm curious, is it possible to WAY outshoot your coverage on these practice tests? Have people here seen many examples of a big drop off on the real thing? I don't FEEL LIKE a 515 tester!

Also, my lowest scores have always been on CARS, in the 127-128 range. Are NS FL CARS considered decent representations of the AAMC? They feel a little...off!
Usually we see the opposite trend. Students score higher on the AAMC Full Lengths and/or MCAT, because every MCAT company (NextStep, Kaplan, PR, etc.) always makes their exams slightly (to varying degrees) more difficult than the real MCAT. The last thing a MCAT company wants is students scoring 528s on their exams only to find out they scored a 499 on the real thing!

Your scores are incredible, be proud my friend. I'm consistently scoring 10 to 12 points below you on all of those NS exams you've listed above. Now is a good time to take the AAMC "half test" (official guide to the MCAT questions) as well as the AAMC Sample test (unscored).

I agree with the other poster; take a stab at the section banks now that you've been at it for awhile.

Usually we see the opposite trend. Students score higher on the AAMC Full Lengths and/or MCAT, because every MCAT company (NextStep, Kaplan, PR, etc.) always makes their exams slightly (to varying degrees) more difficult than the real MCAT. The last thing a MCAT company wants is students scoring 528s on their exams only to find out they scored a 499 on the real thing!

Your scores are incredible, be proud my friend. I'm consistently scoring 10 to 12 points below you on all of those NS exams you've listed above. Now is a good time to take the AAMC "half test" (official guide to the MCAT questions) as well as the AAMC Sample test (unscored).

I agree with the other poster; take a stab at the section banks now that you've been at it for awhile.

Thanks for the feedback here! Sorry - I wasn't clear, I worked through the Section Banks, Q-packs, and OG BEFORE doing the NS FLs. My results:

SB:

CP - 86
BB - 85
PS - 79

OG - 104/120

I think I've increased my PS ability since then, working through the reddit KA doc, and just doing and reviewing practice tests.

I'm actually going to take AAMC FL1 tomorrow. I think that will give me my best measure yet. Super nervous!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I am not mistaken I have seen you post before and you have done pretty well on EK 30 min exams and the Q Packs so I think you're scores are representative of your ability. Since you are about a month out, I would take an AAMC exam now to see where you are at. If you have not already i would go through the section bank. If you have already but you might want to consider going through them again, a lot of high scorers have said that its so high yield that its worth going over twice.

I did post before! Good memory! I still think the EK 30 minute exams are some of the harder material I've worked through. I did the SB and OG about 2 weeks ago now. Posted scores below but jsut to recap:

SB: 86/85/79
OG: 104/120

I think it's time to take AAMC FL, see if I crash and burn lol. Thanks for commenting!

Thanks for the feedback here! Sorry - I wasn't clear, I worked through the Section Banks, Q-packs, and OG BEFORE doing the NS FLs. My results:

SB:

CP - 86
BB - 85
PS - 79

OG - 104/120

I think I've increased my PS ability since then, working through the reddit KA doc, and just doing and reviewing practice tests.

I'm actually going to take AAMC FL1 tomorrow. I think that will give me my best measure yet. Super nervous!

Goodluck on the FL today! You're going to kill it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Goodluck on the FL today! You're going to kill it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Really appreciate the sentiment! Saw this right before I started this morning and it gave me a nice little boost! And it paid off! Very happy with how I did! Attached for those interested

Attachments

• mcat 1.PNG
    mcat 1.PNG
    22.2 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: 1 users