is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speedy3816

reality pwns
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anybody ever heard of anyone getting accepted to dental school with an F on their transcript? :eek: more specifically, an F in a prereq...

any stories or comments are appreciated

speedy

Members don't see this ad.

Yep. But he had a ton of undergraduate research and went to grad school and graduated with a masters with a gpa of a 4.0. He also crushed the DAT and got 20+ every section.

It can be done. But sign up for a grad school as back up

speedy3816 said:
has anybody ever heard of anyone getting accepted to dental school with an F on their transcript? :eek: more specifically, an F in a prereq...

speedy
No. There is a reason it is called a "prerequisite" and not "class you gotta take and it doesn't matter whether you pass it or not". You need to have at least a passing grade for it to even count. Now if you slip them a C-note they may just look the other way.

Members don't see this ad :)
speedy3816 said:

speedy

Yes, it is definitly possible. Take the class over again and do well. You should be fine.

Dental schools only take a C or better for prereqs. If you got an F in a prereq, you would have to retake the course and get at least a C, otherwise, they won't accept you.

speedy3816 said:

speedy

i had an f in a pre req (along w multiple c's and d's). retook the class later w an a. and i still got in. work hard and dont lose hope.

What about F's in non-preqs, but A's-B's in Preqs?

FlossY said:

The guy I knew had a couple of F's in prereqs and nonpreqs. I'd say retake the class and let them average the grades together.

Even if you get a C...it's still better then an F.

It's pretty normal to get F in foreign universities due to prestige and/or religious issues (like papers falling on Saturday where devout Jews and Seventh-day Adventists opt not to sit for them). For as long as you're determined with your goal, nothing should deter you from progessing well along with your dental path ...

thanks everyone for the reponses... :thumbup: i was just proposing a possible worst-case scenario.

speedy

speedy3816 said:

speedy

Hi there,

Yes it is possible. When I applied to UMKC in 1989, my current transcript is showing an F in organic chemistry and an A in retake. What helped me was a detailed letter on why the F took place. This professor was noterious in failing people left and right. DP

Dr. Dai Phan said:
Hi there,

Yes it is possible. When I applied to UMKC in 1989, my current transcript is showing an F in organic chemistry and an A in retake. What helped me was a detailed letter on why the F took place. This professor was noterious in failing people left and right. DP

thanks for your input Dr. Dai Phan

FlossY said:

I had an F in accounting and four W's. I did some post-bac studies (not in a formal program) for the pre-reqs and upper division classes, did well (3.94 GPA), and scored excellent on my DATs. The F was never questioned once in five interviews and five acceptances.

Dr. Dai Phan said:
Hi there,

WOW THE SAME FOR MY PROFESSOR

speedy3816 said:

speedy

Yes, very possible!

I got two F's my freshman year, in Statistics and Wringing. I retook them and got A's.