Is it still considered research experience if I'm being paid for it?

ZeroTouchMeNot

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
So for the next semester, I have been offered a job as a research assistant, and I will be paid on an hourly basis. My job is to summarize lab meetings, reports, as well as organize the necessary info for pubs.
I'm also contemplating whether I should give up my current position, which is a Student Health Promoter for this offer. Basically, as a Student Health Promoter, I organized biweekly events with doctors to raise health awareness among students.
Which of these two would be more favorable?

Moko

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2015
DOGE College of Medicine
  1. Attending Physician
So for the next semester, I have been offered a job as a research assistant, and I will be paid on an hourly basis. My job is to summarize lab meetings, reports, as well as organize the necessary info for pubs. ... Is it still considered research experience if I'm being paid for it?
Research experiences can be either paid or unpaid; however, simply working in a lab does not make it a research experience. For an experience to be considered research, you should be involved in generating and testing hypotheses, interpreting and presenting data, and/or conveying results to a broader audience. Otherwise, you're just the office manager. Just my thoughts

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.