Is it still considered research experience if I'm being paid for it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZeroTouchMeNot

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for the next semester, I have been offered a job as a research assistant, and I will be paid on an hourly basis. My job is to summarize lab meetings, reports, as well as organize the necessary info for pubs.
I'm also contemplating whether I should give up my current position, which is a Student Health Promoter for this offer. Basically, as a Student Health Promoter, I organized biweekly events with doctors to raise health awareness among students.
Which of these two would be more favorable?

Members don't see this ad.

So for the next semester, I have been offered a job as a research assistant, and I will be paid on an hourly basis. My job is to summarize lab meetings, reports, as well as organize the necessary info for pubs. ... Is it still considered research experience if I'm being paid for it?
Research experiences can be either paid or unpaid; however, simply working in a lab does not make it a research experience. For an experience to be considered research, you should be involved in generating and testing hypotheses, interpreting and presenting data, and/or conveying results to a broader audience. Otherwise, you're just the office manager. Just my thoughts

Reactions: 1 users