Is it time for a plan B? Struggling with Physics and Orgo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc0614

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Need some real advice here...I just turned 31.. I'm a junior public health program that is under the college of osteopathic medicine at my university. I and have most of my basic sciences completed. I'm only missing PHYS 1/2 and Orgo 1/2. I currently have a 3.71 cum gpa and am doing very well in my pub health classes.

I started Phys 1 and Orgo 1 this summer and well..I'm lost as F*ck! My university has transitioned to online classes due to the virus, so I'm taking both the lecture and the labs online.. I initially thought that the courses may be a but easier in this format, but I have found that it is the complete opposite! I sit in front of the computer every morning and I can't understand a damn thing..

Needless to say, I need to do something drastic if I am to pass these courses.. and I don't want to just pass, I NEED to do well! I am starting to feel like I've reached my limit and that maybe I should begin to explore other options.

I LOVE medicine and have left my career to go back to school and pursue medical school.. But I have 3 kids and need to be rationale.. should I withdraw and take the summer to prep myself for orgo sand physics? should I stick it out?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

Need some real advice here...I just turned 31.. I'm a junior public health program that is under the college of osteopathic medicine at my university. I and have most of my basic sciences completed. I'm only missing PHYS 1/2 and Orgo 1/2. I currently have a 3.71 cum gpa and am doing very well in my pub health classes.

I started Phys 1 and Orgo 1 this summer and well..I'm lost as F*ck! My university has transitioned to online classes due to the virus, so I'm taking both the lecture and the labs online.. I initially thought that the courses may be a but easier in this format, but I have found that it is the complete opposite! I sit in front of the computer every morning and I can't understand a damn thing..

Needless to say, I need to do something drastic if I am to pass these courses.. and I don't want to just pass, I NEED to do well! I am starting to feel like I've reached my limit and that maybe I should begin to explore other options.

I LOVE medicine and have left my career to go back to school and pursue medical school.. But I have 3 kids and need to be rationale.. should I withdraw and take the summer to prep myself for orgo sand physics? should I stick it out?

what outside resources have you tried? Ninja nerd on YouTube is good for O-chem, and khan academy is good for physics. Also a book called Organic Chemistry as a Second Language was really helpful for me.

do lots of practice problems too, for both courses!

Consider withdrawing and just taking the classes in-person after this covid crap ends

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking both organic chemistry and physics at the same time is pretty intense. I would suggest dropping one and focus all your energy on the other. You want to get this right. Who cares how long it takes. If you don't do well, you may not be able to recover and you will take a hit to your confidence.

Take a breath, pick one and drop the other.

Taking both organic chemistry and physics at the same time is pretty intense. I would suggest dropping one and focus all your energy on the other. You want to get this right. Who cares how long it takes. If you don't do well, you may not be able to recover and you will take a hit to your confidence.

Take a breath, pick one and drop the other.

You are so right.. need to take s breath and focus on one. thank u!

what outside resources have you tried? Ninja nerd on YouTube is good for O-chem, and khan academy is good for physics. Also a book called Organic Chemistry as a Second Language was really helpful for me.

do lots of practice problems too, for both courses!
thanks for the advice and resources. I will look into all of these

I actually think you're OK. I would drop the classes now and blame it on the pandemic if you get Ws and are asked about it in interview. Medical school is conceptually much, much easier than physics or orgo, even though there's more material. There's no problem-solving--there's just a lot of rote memorization. I would have liked med school better if there had been more problem-solving!

I like the ExamKrackers books both for MCAT review and for coursework. They should be on Scribd so you can take a look.

Reactions: 1 user