Is it time to stop holding my breath???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

911_turbo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a applied to 30 programs (submitted app 2nd week of sept) got interview offers from 6 heard no from 10. Mid november decided to apply to 15 more programs. I called 4 other programs I was interested in, but have not heard back. The interview thread has slowed down. So my question to those living the dream is: When was the last date you received interview offers? Are there any programs in particular that offer interviews late? How many programs would you say did not bother to offer or deny an interview.

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a applied to 30 programs (submitted app 2nd week of sept) got interview offers from 6 heard no from 10. Mid november decided to apply to 15 more programs. I called 4 other programs I was interested in, but have not heard back. The interview thread has slowed down. So my question to those living the dream is: When was the last date you received interview offers? Are there any programs in particular that offer interviews late? How many programs would you say did not bother to offer or deny an interview.

Thanks guys.

Sort of... I wouldn't say that all interviews are officially offered but don't expect any of those 5-in-a-day miracles. On the bright side, I've been contacted by a couple programs in the last week that I have no interest in and they've told me to hang in there because they are opening up more dates in the near future. Hope you hear from the ones you're holding your breath for.

Thanks guys.

Spots open as the season continues when people holding 20 interviews realize after about 8 of them that programs have more similarities than differences, and get tired of jumping through the same hoops at each interview.

I'd call programs you are still waiting to hear from once or twice each week to see if any spots opened. You can't really do any harm in asking and you might just catch an open spot that would go to that other guy calling when you didn't ;)

Also, if you consider that a majority of people match in their top 3, you should feel reasonably confident with your 6 interviews. Enjoy the grind!

Members don't see this ad :)
On the bright side, I've been contacted by a couple programs in the last week that I have no interest in and they've told me to hang in there because they are opening up more dates in the near future.
so why not withdraw from the ones you have "no interest in'' so this person can get one?

so why not withdraw from the ones you have "no interest in'' so this person can get one?

I didn't get interviews from them, they told me that I was on a wait list. Like most people, I overapplied and just assumed that I was not going to hear anything from them. The point of even saying anything about that was to say that programs still have some openings and cancellations.

I agree with the above. I had 20 something interviews and cancelled most of my Jan/Feb interviews. Went on 14, which was way too many. Trust me, it's the same old crap at every program and you will really get sick of the "routine" after 7-10 interviews. I was an IMG so I felt forced to do the 14plus the premim/trans for programs that did not offer the first year.