is it to late to re-apply/?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeravi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering everyones opinion- i am currently on 2 waitlists but im pretty sure i will be needing to re-apply- if i want to reapply for 2006 do you already think its too late or can i still be competitive if i get my amcas in before the end of june? what you do yall think

Members don't see this ad.

If you submit your AMCAS before August you should be okay. Don't rush your application if it's not right. Are you planning to rework you personal statement? Are you changing/adding/updating your LORs?

Did you apply late last cycle? What do you think hurt your chances last cycle?

Keep the faith.

Timing may be a factor in why you didn't get in last time, but you should be certain to show improvement from your last application - either with more good grades, or new extracurriculars. Show that you've been working for medical school, and they'll all want you!

Members don't see this ad :)
2tall said:
If you submit your AMCAS before August you should be okay. Don't rush your application if it's not right. Are you planning to rework you personal statement? Are you changing/adding/updating your LORs?

Did you apply late last cycle? What do you think hurt your chances last cycle?

Keep the faith.

hey i did apply last cycle for 2005 and am on two waitlists now- that time around i had taken the aug mcat so my app was processed late. My bigest concern is even though i will be doing a SMP next year if i apply now my app wont be very different from the first time around. I will however be applying toi very different schools. Im just not sure if it would be smarter to wait till ive completed the smp and then to apply or if its ok to apply now and update as i go. I have one new LOR and I have re worked my personal statement. I guess my question is is it foolish to rush into applying this cycle or should i just wait the extra year when i know my chances will be better?

you have plenty of time. dont believe all the hype on here that if you send in your AMCAS one second after June 1st that you're chances go down significantly. You can send it in in mid july and still be fine. last year i turned mine in June 2nd and got secondaries at the same time in July as those who sent it in a month later. Stuff doesn't start coming till July so don't send in a crappy application early. better to spend time working on it and put your best effort forward in for a later submission.

jeravi said:
I was just wondering everyones opinion- i am currently on 2 waitlists but im pretty sure i will be needing to re-apply- if i want to reapply for 2006 do you already think its too late or can i still be competitive if i get my amcas in before the end of june? what you do yall think
Most medical schools use a rolling admissions policy, where applicants who apply earlier have a better chance. But the other posts are correct: you can still be competitive if you apply after June 1st, and you shouldn't rush and turn in a sloppy application just to get it in early.

However, all other things being equal, you will likely be the most competitive if you apply on June 1st, and you will likely be less competitive as time passes. This may not matter if you have a very strong application. But this is especially true for people who have less-than-stellar applications.

Another important question might be whether you have done anything to improve yourself since you applied last year (which is a requirement for re-applicants at most schools). If you feel you have improved yourself, then it would be reasonable to reapply now, and not worry too much about your application being a bit late. But if not, it may be hard to make any meaningful improvements before too much time has passed. If you feel this is the case, then there's nothing wrong with taking time this fall and spring to improve yourself, and then re-apply next June (on June 1st).