Is it too late to apply to SGU for August to get in?

Started by glorytome
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

glorytome

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am seeing that many people are getting waitlisted for SGU. Will this be the case for me if I apply for the august semester now? My stats are 3.1 GPA and 24 MCAT. Also, one of my friends got into SGU, but he is doing the MPH. After he finishes this, he will go onto the MD. He told me it is the MPH into MD program. Is this an easier option for people applying to SGU?
 
You have plenty of time. If you were applying for January then you might be pushing it.

If you do not need/want an MPH then only apply for a direct MD. I think SGU has some sort of semester-long program that you can take to prove yourself before starting MD, though.
 
I kind of did not understand your reply. Would I have a better chance of getting into SGU if I apply to the MD/MPH or would my chances be the same if I apply to the direct MD? I really don't care if I have an MPH or not. I also wanted to ask that instead worrying about SGU, should I concentrate on Ross a little more?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I kind of did not understand your reply. Would I have a better chance of getting into SGU if I apply to the MD/MPH or would my chances be the same if I apply to the direct MD? I really don't care if I have an MPH or not. I also wanted to ask that instead worrying about SGU, should I concentrate on Ross a little more?


It would definitely be easier if you spend the extra time and money on the MPH/MD program but only if that is what you want to do BUT I would recommend applying directly to the MD program and see if they offer you the MPH as a foot-in-the-door option to the MD program.

To be honest, if you work hard and excel, then SGU and Ross will help you become a doctor, although SGU students say that the extra help from tutoring programs can make the difference for some students who need a little push in the right (academic) direction.
 
So let me get this straight. If I apply to direct MD, and they feel that my qualifications aren't good enough, they will actually offer me the MPH as a foot in the door option? That's pretty cool. Also, my friend is doing the MPH right now, then he is going to start the MD. Is it better to alternate the MPH and MD from semester to semester, cuz he told me that you can do that. In fact, is it harder for that?
 
You have plenty of time. If you were applying for January then you might be pushing it.

If you do not need/want an MPH then only apply for a direct MD. I think SGU has some sort of semester-long program that you can take to prove yourself before starting MD, though.

It is called the Foundation to Medicine Program. It is a semester long and if you get a 3.2 or above you are automatically admitted into the next semesters md program
 
Do you think I can get directly into the MD program with my stats (3.1, higher science GPA, and 24)?