Is it too late to submit secondaries in early September with low stats?

Mar 3, 2014
Status
Medical Student
So, I submitted 18 secondaries throughout August but still have 5-6 more that just haven't been done.

I have a 31 MCAT (10 PS/11 BS/10 VR) and a 3.1 cGPA (with significant upward trend going from 2.5ish on multiple semesters to 3.8 on last few semesters and 3.6 at a post bacc). I know my stats aren't great but getting another degree wouldn't even be enough to really recover from the GPA issues. Basically, it is what it is.

Has anyone with low stats gotten IIs and acceptances by submitting secondaries around now (first week of September)?

Last edited:

PugsAndHugs

5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2014
Status
Medical Student
So, I submitted 18 secondaries throughout August but still have 5-6 more that just haven't been done.

I have a 31 MCAT (10 PS/11 BS/10 VR) and a 3.1 cGPA (with significant upward trend going from 2.5ish on multiple semesters to 3.8 on last few semesters and 3.6 at a post bacc). Trust me, I know my stats aren't great but getting another degree wouldn't even be enough to really recover from the GPA issues. Basically, it is what it is.

Has anyone with low stats gotten IIs and acceptances by submitting secondaries around now (first week of September)?
Assuming that money isn't an issue AND your secondaries are done (or very close to done), I would submit the rest of the secondaries. The weak GPA is going to hold you back a lot so to maximize your chances I would send out all of the secondaries. Better than thinkng "What If" later on.

Reactions: nanac

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
End of September for completion of file (primary, secondary, LOR, MCAT) is a "normal" speed

moisne

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
You should file them. My latest one was november or december (the week of the deadline)

Reactions: nanac

emma2015

2+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'm in a similar situation, but have a competitive GPA and lower MCAT - I'm still working on secondaries (most of which I received in the last week). Also wondering how "late" this really is and how much that actually affects chances at competitive schools.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I'm in a similar situation, but have a competitive GPA and lower MCAT - I'm still working on secondaries (most of which I received in the last week). Also wondering how "late" this really is and how much that actually affects chances at competitive schools.
Since Interview Slots and Seats are both finite and assigned on a rolling basis, simply by numbers, your chances would be reduced.

yjj8817

7+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
End of September for completion of file (primary, secondary, LOR, MCAT) is a "normal" speed
When you say this, do you mean submitting everything (verified primary, LOR, secondaries, MCAT score) by end of september? Or do you mean the schools telling the applicants that "your file is complete and is now ready for review"?

Is there a very long delay between these two?

winterwind_23

5+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
When you say this, do you mean submitting everything (verified primary, LOR, secondaries, MCAT score) by end of september? Or do you mean the schools telling the applicants that "your file is complete and is now ready for review"?

From my experience applying and being complete at 38 schools, most schools automatically mark you as complete once all of those items are in. There are a few schools that take a few days or weeks to mark you as complete. I submitted my secondaries in July and early August, so I'm not sure if it changes as the cycle goes along.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

Since the question is about when an applicant submits, it means that you have everything is in the file (including verified primary and the rest). As for when the schools 1) inspect file for completion, 2) mark the file as complete and/or ready review, 3) read and/reviewed by adcom, 4) evaluated and/or actions decided (II, reject, held for later review), those are fully school specific and no general rule can be stated.

BTW, by end of October for the above is generally late, but not extremely so. Remember schools have several thousands applications to review so things take a while to flow. Remember, this is talking about the file being complete from an applicant point of view, not first submission. So all items are in the file, all the letters, MCAT, secondary, primary.)

Reactions: yjj8817

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
From my experience applying and being complete at 38 schools, most schools automatically mark you as complete once all of those items are in. There are a few schools that take a few days or weeks to mark you as complete. I submitted my secondaries in July and early August, so I'm not sure if it changes as the cycle goes along.
Since AMCAS doesnt transmit until at least July 1st, the bulk of primaries are transmitted mid-July thru late-August. Thus, early submitted secondaries have less application "traffic" ahead of them and can get in the file earlier and marked as complete. While this will likely improved your chances for a review earlier, most schools do not evaluate and take action in a chronological manner. Outstanding candidates, UG connected, children of alumni, feeder school, linked programs, and URM may get priority in evaluation and action.

Aug 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Since the question is about when an applicant submits, it means that you have everything is in the file (including verified primary and the rest). As for when the schools 1) inspect file for completion, 2) mark the file as complete and/or ready review, 3) read and/reviewed by adcom, 4) evaluated and/or actions decided (II, reject, held for later review), those are fully school specific and no general rule can be stated.

BTW, by end of October for the above is generally late, but not extremely so. Remember schools have several thousands applications to review so things take a while to flow. Remember, this is talking about the file being complete from an applicant point of view, not first submission. So all items are in the file, all the letters, MCAT, secondary, primary.)
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a quick question. I've applied EDP but am preparing for worst case scenario. If I am deferred to the regular applicant pool, would it be best to just wait until next year to broadly apply? 3.9+ GPA, MCAT 30<X<34, well above average EC's.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a quick question. I've applied EDP but am preparing for worst case scenario. If I am deferred to the regular applicant pool, would it be best to just wait until next year to broadly apply? 3.9+ GPA, MCAT 30<X<34, well above average EC's.
Yes, EDP is a very risky proposition as it sets you far back in the review cycle. However, with your GPA you can certainly target schools this cycle, even though its late. I rarely advise to apply EDP

mikil100

7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2011
Status
Medical Student
EDIT: disregard. just read above

When you say completion, do you mean when a student has it submitted, or when it goes into the "under review, waiting for an II" stage?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
EDIT: disregard. just read above

When you say completion, do you mean when a student has it submitted, or when it goes into the "under review, waiting for an II" stage?
Neither, I mean exactly what I said. That your file has all items in it. It means complete. That doesnt mean it has gone directly review or evaluation. Processing that goes on after that point may differ by school, not be directly chronological, have a multi-stage review/evaluation, or other variations

mikil100

7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Neither, I mean exactly what I said. That your file has all items in it. It means complete. That doesnt mean it has gone directly review or evaluation. Processing that goes on after that point may differ by school, not be directly chronological, have a multi-stage review/evaluation, or other variations
The word complete can be confusing in the context of medical school applications because of some schools stating "your application is now complete!" even when you you actually submitted the application in its entirety a month ago. Thanks for the help

Aug 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, EDP is a very risky proposition as it sets you far back in the review cycle. However, with your GPA you can certainly target schools this cycle, even though its late. I rarely advise to apply EDP
The problem is I won't know of the decision until late September to early October, which means I would be well behind. Does applying to 5 or so schools sound like a good plan? Or if I'm going to apply at all, should I go all out with my 15-20? I am just hesitant because of the lateness in the cycle. I'd really hate to be a reapplicant at that many schools.

And yes, I know EDP was a risky proposition. Truthfully, there isn't a school I would attend if accepted to my IS school, so I just went with it. I don't regret my decision, but I am just trying to have a backup plan.

I appreciate your input!

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I would say no, save you time, energy and money, and apply broadly next cycle. Make sure your existing MCAT will still be valid for the next cycle

Reactions: Agent Mango