Is It Too Late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liz_Lemon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just submitted my application to AACOMAS this evening and feeling I am late in the application process. Am I too late to have applied this cycle? Just feeling really defeated right now. Thanks for any response in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Are you late: No. If you can have everything submitted by the end of this month, then youre safe.
2) Please share why you are defeated? MCAT induced?

Yes, I still have not received my score but I feel it did not go very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I still have not received my score but I feel it did not go very well.

Let me tell you my story. Hopefully, it will bring you to a better state.

I took my MCAT in November 2014, my score came out a month later. I too didn't feel so hot about my performance on the test. I didn't check my score. I had post-MCAT anxiety and couldn't sleep or FUNCTION! I tried to run away from the problem but of course that didn't work. 4 months later a day before my birthday, I wanted to free my mind.

I scored +6pts higher than my last MCAT. Did I sell my soul to the devil to increase my MCAT during my phase of worrying? No. The morale of the story: Dont worry and have faith in yourself. I wasted a lot of time worrying. :smack: Anyways, I wish you the best of luck. Stay positive and do the things you enjoy! Worrying gets you nowhere!

Reactions: 1 users
Good god, Lemon! You can get through this! But seriously, it's not too late. Just be quick with your secondaries, and at this point you can't control what happened with the MCAT. Pre-write secondaries for your top schools (you can find those on the individual school threads around SDN). Do your best this cycle, and if things work out, then that's fantastic! If not, then that's okay too - learning experience!

Sidenote, I'm currently a reapplicant who can attest to the defeated/am-i-really-cut-out-for-this feeling for a while there when it was rejection city. But if you want to be a doctor, you're gonna make it happen, whether this cycle or another one down the road. You got this!!! :)

Thank you everyone for making me feel a little better about my situation. I have come this far to not give up.

As long as your stats are competitive you are fine. If they are not in both categories, I would not be so confident in saying you are okay.

MCAT score isn't everything! I got into a "top tier" DO school and had a few acceptances to choose from with a 25 (9/8/8) MCAT. So even if your score is lower than you expect, don't be bummed out. DO schools care way less about stats when you're above certain cutoffs and care more about the entire application.

MCAT score isn't everything! I got into a "top tier" DO school and had a few acceptances to choose from with a 25 (9/8/8) MCAT. So even if your score is lower than you expect, don't be bummed out. DO schools care way less about stats when you're above certain cutoffs and care more about the entire application.

Slow down. Are you a URM? Whats ur GPAs? ECs?

Plus when did you apply?

Sorry if I am coming across as dense, but which one? As is it OK to submit AACOMAS for verification by that time or do you mean its not late if you are complete(with secondaries and LOR on file) at schools by that time.

I know that this is an anxiety-provoking process, but do I really have to explain my answer to you????

Sorry if I am coming across as dense, but which one? As is it OK to submit AACOMAS for verification by that time or do you mean its not late if you are complete(with secondaries and LOR on file) at schools by that time.

I know that this is an anxiety-provoking process, but do I really have to explain my answer to you????

Save your time Goro.

Goro, correct me if im wrong usually I am, its late OVERALL if you are in either situation. Its better have everything completed before DEC. Earlier the better.

Correct. At my school, the turn-around time for receiving the II is about six weeks. So complete by Dec, receive II by late Jan-early Feb. That means you'd be interviewing somewhere in March to end of April. By that time we're very picky and most people end up on the wait list.

Save your time Goro.

Goro, correct me if im wrong usually I am, its late OVERALL if you are in either situation. Its better have everything completed before DEC. Earlier the better.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't get my AACOMAS submitted until DECEMBER last year (obviously didn't get in)- but I did receive secondaries and was put on interview wait lists even that late in the game. Keep pushing this year! Try to get your secondaries ready before they need to be. There are a bunch of threads with their prompts, so you can have a google doc with all of your responses ready to go. You could potentially receive a secondary and send it back THAT DAY!! Best of luck to you. Also I haven't received my MCAT score either, but I'm still submitting everything as soon as I can.

Slow down. Are you a URM? Whats ur GPAs? ECs?

Plus when did you apply?

Not a URM, gpa was strong just under 3.7 cGPA and sGPA. I'd say ECs were pretty standard when it comes to premeds, definitely was not a hotshot by any means, no research. Just trying to give OP some insight that MCAT is NOT everything. I was rejected at CCOM and Touro obviously, but so many more DO schools accept scores in the lower range, even the top tier schools. I did apply early in the game though which is a huge benefit, but I was not in at June 1st like a lot of people were. I was sending my secondaries out last week of July/first week of August. It's later than one would like, but it's definitely not too late.