Is it wise to do 3 uworld blocks per day for usmle step 2 ck ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverwinter

Reaction score
as it's my first pass
will appreciate any help
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What do you mean by “wise” ? It just really depends on your study plan and how long your dedicated is.

What do you mean by “wise” ? It just really depends on your study plan and how long your dedicated is.
I have seen some people who say that uw is the only resource for step 2 and most students just do 2 blocks per day and say 3 blocks is rushing through qbank

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to take the bank and divide by number of days you have . I would give yourself one day off a week too, to not burn out. So the number of blocks a day purely depends on the amount of time you have . I do 6 a day, for example .

You need to take the bank and divide by number of days you have . I would give yourself one day off a week too, to not burn out. So the number of blocks a day purely depends on the amount of time you have . I do 6 a day, for example .
I made a plan exactly like that but some people had me questioning my plan and I didn't see anyone doing 3 blocks per day, but you doing 6 per day really boosted my confidence!! Thankyou for your help and I will take one day off per week .thank you.

So this is the thing - step 2 is an 8 hour long exam . So I personally try to study for 8 hours with similar breaks to sort of train myself .

As far as the number of blocks - ideally, you should try to do the entire bank. But you should make sure that you are actually working through them, and review. For example, I make anki cards of stuff I got wrong for the day, and review them in the evening . There is no point of forcing yourself to do 6 blocks a day if you are not working through the content , you know ?
So if you need to cut down to 3 blocks but make it count - so it . In this case prioritize sections that you know are your weaknesses .

Don’t do 2 because someone else said that- you don’t know how much they remember from the year . and don’t do 6 because that’s what I do. Sit Down, and have an honest dialogue with yourself . What sections are you struggling with ? Cardio? Pulm? Peds? something else? Prioritize those . At the end of the day it is YOUR career, you know?

Reactions: 1 users
I made a plan exactly like that but some people had me questioning my plan and I didn't see anyone doing 3 blocks per day, but you doing 6 per day really boosted my confidence!! Thankyou for your help and I will take one day off per week .thank you.
On the one day off a week I watch board and beyond on 1.5 or 2 speed, and go through anki to review . Just a few hours .

2 blocks per day was ideal for me, ramping up to 5 per day for the last couple of weeks before the actual test.
Endurance training is great, but doing it every day is asking for burnout if you're not careful.

I would also recommend trying to get through Amboss' question bank (At least 1-4 hammer questions or 2-4 hammer if you're short on time) in addition to the NBME's and UWSA1/2.

Reactions: 3 users
2 blocks per day was ideal for me, ramping up to 5 per day for the last couple of weeks before the actual test.
Endurance training is great, but doing it every day is asking for burnout if you're not careful.

I would also recommend trying to get through Amboss' question bank (At least 1-4 hammer questions or 2-4 hammer if you're short on time) in addition to the NBME's and UWSA1/2.
Yeah. Personally I am going through uworld, all NBMEs , did AMBOSS practice one, UWSA 1/2, and some blocks from AMBOSS .

Yeah. Personally I am going through uworld, all NBMEs , did AMBOSS practice one, UWSA 1/2, and some blocks from AMBOSS .
I did basically the same. Got through all of Amboss which imo helped, especially the ethics bits.
Would recommend having a resource that is easy to refer back to and can be annotated as you're going through all the questions, just to have everything in a central spot or to have reminders of small details/how they ask certain questions.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ll add to this discussion to keep it going rather than create my own thread. Since pretty much all schools have two IM rotations, should I wait to do IM UWORLD questions until the 2nd IM rotation?

So this is the thing - step 2 is an 8 hour long exam . So I personally try to study for 8 hours with similar breaks to sort of train myself .

As far as the number of blocks - ideally, you should try to do the entire bank. But you should make sure that you are actually working through them, and review. For example, I make anki cards of stuff I got wrong for the day, and review them in the evening . There is no point of forcing yourself to do 6 blocks a day if you are not working through the content , you know ?
So if you need to cut down to 3 blocks but make it count - so it . In this case prioritize sections that you know are your weaknesses .

Don’t do 2 because someone else said that- you don’t know how much they remember from the year . and don’t do 6 because that’s what I do. Sit Down, and have an honest dialogue with yourself . What sections are you struggling with ? Cardio? Pulm? Peds? something else? Prioritize those . At the end of the day it is YOUR career, you know?
thankyou so much for the advice, I really appreciate it !

thankyou for your advice, yeah I'm thinking about using amboss for ethics/hospital management atleast

2-3 blocks per day for ~4 weeks worked well for me.

FWIW, most people at my school do not finish UW in dedicated. I know of only 1 person who has and they claim it was not worth it. But pretty much everyone uses UW here during clerkships.